Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was out cruising around today and thought i would weigh the car. went to a local scrap yard.
they did it for free. it's a 68 ss396. basically all stock, with a/c and p/w too. it came in at a hefty 3820 pounds with a 1/4 tank of fuel.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Wow, my 4 door 68 only weighed 3480. Course, small block with aluminum tranny...

BTW, that's with me + 1/16 tank of gas (was trying to get it as low as I could). Anyway, I'll have to see how much the other malibu weighs.

------------------
Joe Y.
68 malibu
Bloomington/Normal, IL

[This message has been edited by Joe Y (edited 12-03-99).]

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My 70 big block with me in it ( I am 6-9 and 290 lbs, need power) it weighs 3960. These full frame 2 door hardtop big block cars are not light. To make them go you need to put some torquey engine in it. That is OK, the car will protect you in an emergency, let that not happen to anybody reading this.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My 66 Big-Block Chevelle (No AC, No PowerBrakes) with me in it (5'8" 140) weighs just over 3600...watch out when I get some Aluminum heads, water pump and a few fiberglass body panels and bumpers! 3300Lbs here I come!

------------------
66 Big-Block Chevelle Houston, TX ACES#3321

·
Registered
48 Posts
just think and they still fly, that's why the general decided to put rats in them i think, shortened rear, no back seat, no power anything, just horse power comes in at 3675#

------------------

·
Registered
80 Posts
3800# in my '70 SS454 (incl. 1/2 tank of gas) and everything pretty stock, but no A/C.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My '69 350/powerglide four wheel non-power drums (Only option was the astro vent and power steering) weighed in at 3240 with 4 gal. of gas and me not in it. Can't weight (Ha ha) to get my 454 in it to see how light it is.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Just to make you feel good, I weighed the Monte...3/4 tank gas, BB, TH400, 12 bolt Posi, A/C, front discs, on and on....
Ready...No fatboy driver...4010#

Fiberglass and aluminum here I come!

------------------
Dale P.
Team Chevelle Member# 423
65 El Camino
72 Monte Carlo
"..you did you take the washer off, right?"

[This message has been edited by DaleP (edited 12-01-99).]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow, these weights are all over the place. On the 68-70 cars, I am surprised as to how light they are. I had heard these were the heaviest ones they made. Andrew Crooks: Does your car have any interior or anything? That sounds WAY light even for a smallblock. My buddies 69 SS has a fiberglass hood and aluminum heads (no AC) and still weighs 3900.

------------------
66 Big-Block Chevelle Houston, TX ACES#3321

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey Kurt is that 3660 for a BB or SB?? My 72 was 3620 with 1/2 tank of gas, small block, PS, M-20, headers, only aluminum part was the intake. I too am surprised that these weights are all over. I have always read and heard that a BB adds 200 lbs over a SB. I once weighed a 79 camaro w/350 I had, and it tipped the scales at 3880, Wow, and I too thought the chevelle would be heavier than a camaro!

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

·
Registered
171 Posts
It has to be for a big block. No 68 SS came with a small block.

------------------
Bob (Creedmoor,N.C.)
65 Vette B&M Blown, Richmond 5-speed
68 Malibu B&M Blown, Turbo 350 10" converter

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey Ratpower, the car has all the original interior, bench seat back seat all the call pretty much the way it cam from the factory. I imagine the aluminum intake and header along with the powerglide and a 8.2 rear helped things. I was expecting about 3400 when I got it weighed. It was weighted at a srap yard on there more precise scale so I pretty confident on the numbers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.