Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 Chevelle Malibu convertible sitting in my Dad's garage (untouched) for the last 12 years. It's always been my dream to restore it and now is the time. It is not running right now. It has a non original rebuilt 283 with the water pulley disconnected (fell off while my younger was driving it 12 years ago). Everything else is original. The body is not in bad shape. It's never been in an accident. A little bit of rust due to the harsh Canadian winters. The interior needs a bit of work. I don't know much about restoring classic cars so I'm going to need all the help I can get.
My questions are:
1. Should I replace the 283, the tranny, the exhaust system, the whole works and modify it to get more horsepower?
2. If I take all these out what should I put in it?
3. Should I get it painted a different color (it's original color is bolero red)?
4. Should I try to keep it original as much as possible?
5. Will it be more valuable if it is original?
6. Does anybody know of any Chevelle clubs in my neck of the woods (Calgary, Alberta, Canada - north of the Montana border about a 3 hour dirve)? It's quite lonely up here.

[This message has been edited by 67Malibudroptop (edited 05-14-99).]

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
These are kind of subjective questions, but here's my thoughts:

1. If you want more power, you should look into a lager output engine. The tranny would depend on what you already have installed, as with the exhause, etc.

2. Again, depends on what you want to do with it. Drag, road race, just drive it? Each one can be best done with a particular combination

3. Only if you don't like that color, or like another one better.

3. (you have 2 #3's
) See #4

4. Yes, in almost every case, this is true.

5. Not off the top of my head. You should look into joining ACES. Yu may be able to find someone through their magazine. Info on ACES is available from the front page of this site.

good luck and welcome!

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Kurt (Byfield) for your thoughts. I have just fixed the question numbers.

My plan for now is to get it running and making it look good. Later on I would like to put a bigger engine in it and show some of my friends who drive imports what real American muscle can do. I'm going to do more reading on this subject to help me decide on what I should put in. Unless you or anybody out there have some good ideas. I am new at this so PLEASE HELP.

I have just filled out the membership form for ACES and will be mailing it out today. Thanks again for your reply.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Well, this is what I think you should do, but keep in mind that this is just 1 guys opinion. I;m sure that other people here will have different things to say.

1. Get the car running and get it safe. Get a full tuneup, check the brakes, exhaust, etc. This is job #1

2. Decide what is more important: Going fast, or looking good. Unless you've got a lot of cash and time, I'll assume you can't do the entire thing all at once. IF you can deal with the 283, which isn't a bad motor, leave it there and spend some time making the car look nice.

3. Once you've taken care of the outside, turn your attention to the inside. Make a plan on what you want to do. If you pull that 283 and dump in a 383, you'll need to deal with the tranny and rear at the same time. If it were me, I'd start with the rear suspension and work forward to the engine.

Obviously, this is quite general. You'r going to need to learn a lot of this stuff on your own through reading and hands on. You can ask questions here, but that's no substitiue to getting your hands dirty.

I would recommend you search the old posts on this site, read up on the various topics and go from there.

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hey, what's wrong with Bolero Red? I'm thinking about taking mine back to that color. Is it really that ugly? Sounds like a neat project that I'm sure you'll enjoy. Have a blast.

·
Administrator
3,371 Posts
Hey 67Malibudroptop, I'd do like mentioned and clean the car up. Don't change out the engine and tranny. GM of Canada will send you a pile of info on your car for $40.00 including a printout of all the options added. It's authentication to the finest degree! Bolero red is a preferred color for a ragtop and I'd sure keep it that way. Canadian cars were produced in far less numbers so are by nature a rarer combo.

It will be worth a LOT more by being original.

Chevelle Clubs? Visit www.cdnclassics.chevelles.net - based out of Victoria, we are a growing club (I've been a member for a few years now) and they produce a nice club mag. Dave Weir is a good contact person. Unfortunately, Dave doesn't appear to take part in these forums. I'm sure he has forgotten more details about Chevelles than I'll ever learn. They (the Canadian Classics) are going to have several members in your area on June 5th - at the Three Hills Car Show. I'm considering making the trip myself. If you want Dave's number, email me privately, he is attending the Three Hills show and I'm sure he would love to see your car. as would I

·
Registered
335 Posts
Just my opinion here, but since this is a ragtop, keep it original. Can't remember the last time I've even seen one. Rebuild everything to factory specs as much as possible, or at least keep the original parts. Worth wwwaaayyyy more in original condition. tom

·
Registered
567 Posts
Welcome! I've owned various Chevelles over the years and have loved them all from the beaters to the completed cars (more in between cars). I say get it running and safe then, cruise it. You will soon develop a sense of whether you need to upgrade and what. We all have different levels of "NEED FOR SPEED", that little 283 just might surprise you. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I agree with the others. Keep everything original. A convertible is a rare breed. If you absolutely need to demonstrate american muscle, buy a 80's Camaro and big block it. They're a dime a dozen which is way, way less than your Dad's Chevelle is worth. It'll have plenty of umph from the 283 and you'll have the joy of driving a thrity-two year old american ( north american!) legend!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, guys for all your good advice. It's so exciting to know that there are a lot of people that share the same love for Chevelles. I have been convinced to keep it original just because like yourselves I appreciate things that are original. I've heard so many good things about the lil' 283 that I'm now inclined just to leave it the way it is. I am not thinking of ever selling this car so the monetary value is not so important to me. Even in the shape it's in I wouldn't sell it for any amount. I still remember the pride my Dad had whenever we drove around with the top down. I can't wait to see the expression on his face when I show him the result after it's been worked on. As my Dad has passed it on to me, I would like to pass it on to one my boys or daughter (whoever shows an interest in it). This won't be for a while yet since they're only 5, 3 and 5 months old right now.

Al,
Just so you know. I don't believe the car was built in Canada because my Dad bought it from his former employer while he was working in Chicago back in 1968 with only a few miles on it (I'm not sure until I see the VIN). I'll let you know as soon as I find out. He drove it up here and we've had it ever since.

Gene,
Don't get me wrong, I love the Bolero Red color and I'm going to leave it in this color. I just wanted to see other opinions out there.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Honestly, I've never seen a Bolero red car up close and personal so I know not of what I speak. It is the original color of my '67 so it's going back that way. I just think the idea of a bright red convertible is cool.

Hey, careful with the kids, I let my two year old screw around in the drivers seat of my car and started real trouble. He wants to drive now! Geez, I few years from now I can just see my wife and I sitting in our back room when we hear, a-a-a-a-a-a Vroom- and that old big block fires up to life.

Treasure that heirloom and have fun!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Droptop,
Sounds like a wonderful cruise car. As much as I like the Big Block SS cars, I am also a big fan of any original small block car that has some pizazz and a red convertible would qualify. Shortly after getting my current project, I saw an ad for a good condition purple 283 convertible for less than $3000 that sounds a lot like yours and it was all I could do to keep from driving down to Florida, just to look, of course! Stay red and original as much as possible. By the way, my current clone project had the 283. I sold the motor but kept the pulleys and alt. brackets thinking they may swap to a big block, but they won't. I'd let them go for shipping plus a couple of bucks, if you need them. Let me know!
John Walker

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.