Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came in from the garage where I do most of my thinking and I have an idea that I have not tried yet but thought I'd share.
When re-painting the dash bezel and trying to re-paint those thin siver/chrome lines this is what I plan on doing:
After prep., paint all thin lines with silver/chrome paint w/airbrush, allow to dry, then take a length of electrical wire and slice it half-way through along the whole length. Apply the plastic wire sheething over the newly painted lines and then paint the rest of the dash the desired color. Not having done this yet I have know idea of the outcome but I'll keep you posted as I'm sure I'll learn what not to do or wether this works at all. Talk to you later!
p.s. Still thinking about how to do those letters!! Any other ideas??

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I'd be interested in hearing how it works out. One thing I tried that didn't work too well was to paint the entire panel black, then apply thin (had to slit it in half) chrome finish pinstripe tape to all ridges. The only ridge I could not apply to was the curves around the speedo ('69). When finished, the tape was still too wide, looked to lumpy and wavy and failed to adhere well. When it finally begins to fall off, I plan on pulling it all off and using the Testor's paint marker I used on the speedo.
Rich

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Lou
For the letters try this. Put a thin coat of the paint you are using on a piece of cardboard. Use a clean, new pencil eraser as a dauber. Daub the eraser in the paint, daub it on clean cardboard to remove the excess, and then daub it GENTLY on the lettering. The idea is to have an extremely thin coating on the eraser. It will leave a sharp line on the raised lettering.

------------------
Rick
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4
TC#00038
ACES#00140

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go down to the local office supply store and buy a little pen that has silver paint in it. Not sure of the brand, but, it looks like a pen, has a rattle when you shake it like a paint can and has a little felt like tip to glide across the lips and letters of your dash. Worked for me really nice. A lot of people ask how I did it. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lou Merrell:
Just came in from the garage where I do most of my thinking and I have an idea that I have not tried yet but thought I'd share.
When re-painting the dash bezel and trying to re-paint those thin siver/chrome lines this is what I plan on doing:
After prep., paint all thin lines with silver/chrome paint w/airbrush, allow to dry, then take a length of electrical wire and slice it half-way through along the whole length. Apply the plastic wire sheething over the newly painted lines and then paint the rest of the dash the desired color. Not having done this yet I have know idea of the outcome but I'll keep you posted as I'm sure I'll learn what not to do or wether this works at all. Talk to you later!
p.s. Still thinking about how to do those letters!! Any other ideas??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad idea guy's, this sucks. The line bosses on the '69 dash are to short and the wire sheething does'nt grip it that well. But hey, thanks for your ideas, gonna try that pen thing for the letters and since I have the 'patience of Job' when it comes to mechanical things, I'm gonna mask off my lines and paint them. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Lou, I use some stuff called liquid mask! You can buy it at any model craft store or hobby shop. What I do first is remove any oils and dirt from the bezel with a plastic prep solution. Then, I use the SEM product, "Sand Free" as a primer - light coat with air brush! Then, dye the entire bezel black or whatever color you are using. for this I use SEM Landeau black aeresol can, but you can get it in the quart can and use an air brush (cheaper). then, apply a thin coat of the liquid mask all around and over the round guage opening. Make sure to use a thin coat first. After that dries for a while, use a heavier coat over the top and all around. Then use paper and masking tape on the rest of the bezel to avoid over spray. I then use a model knife to trim the liquid mask off of the area that I am going to paint. I use a liquid chrome paint. The results are perfect and it looks better than the "Testors" paint pen.

I agree with Godejon for the letters on the dash! Godejon actually introduced me to the paint pen idea! How are the projects going Godejon?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Shoot, Godejohn, I mis-spelled your name above! Sorry about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts