Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I found two muncies in a junkyard yesterday. One is a M-20 that is locked up and the other a M-21. I was wondering what I should offer since the guy who showed them to me wouldn't commit to a price w/out his brother's consent.

I have an "ebay" price in my head, but I'm kinda concerned about the one that doesn't turn...and you know that's the one I'd rather have. Would it be worth it to take a stab at a siezed tranny or just settle for the M-21?

Any help is appreciated.

Jason

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what I was thinking. I think that would be a good price for what's there...I just don't want to insult the guy, but so far he's under the impression that they are T-10s.

Is it a pain to disasseble one that is locked? I know that is a tough question since there are no pics or anything, but I just want to make sure I don't put a pile of money into it, but I know that the muncies don't seem to be a cheap alternative.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was told that it was fine and the humidity got to it. I find that kind of hard to believe considering the weather here, south TX. I guess it could happen if it was stored without fluid and submerged in water. I will do that though.

The guy who is selling it is hung up on T-5s. They removed the M-21 to put a T-5 in a 57 chevy. He kept trying to convince me how much better off I'd be with a 5 speed and he had two of them also. but I havn't heard too many good things about them.

I am going to go back by tomorrow and see what kind of deal I can arrange.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I know I offered $400 for both thinking I was being generous, and he said he'd rather keep'um than let them go that cheap. I've been pricing parts to rebuild and found I'd be better off to just go ahead and get one in better condition from somewhere else.

All I know is I want to take my dag'on car for a ride already...and the broken down three speed I have now ain't gonna do it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
You might want to check to see if the M20 trans that you say is locked up isn't shifted into both a forward gear and reverse as this will lock -up the mainshaft preventing it from being turned. Could be what's causing it to appear frozen. I'd just check this as it's common on transmissions that have been sitting and it's real easy to determine. Just move the reverse lever and if it frees up your usually ok. Worth a check. If the gears are good in both transmissions, $400.00 a piece really isn't out of line today. JMHO
Chris

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
400 a piece for a non working muncie is crazy IMO. When you get down to it, after a rebuild and a couple repalcement gears paying $1300 for a Richmond T10 isnt so bad.
but then you'll have a t-10-----not a Muncie

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Let's face it, the muncie parts are not cheap. I am not the kind of guy to do anything half a$$ so I would have probably rebuilt the whole thing anyway which more than likely put approx $1k in parts and labor plus the $400 the guy wants. For that I could go Richmond and have a brand new warrantied tranny. I know the muncies carry a nice reputation, but I just grenaded an M-20 in my old man's '66 while I was home(thank goodness he is very understanding). After talking him into the M-22, he had almost $2k in it, which leads me to my next point.

My car is not going to stay stock anyway or else I would be looking for another 3 on the tree set up. So I think that I am just going to save my pennies and go Tremec, which was my original plan in the first place. I like the idea of a low first and a high fifth and I think that it will hold up just fine for what I plan on doing. Price wise, it isn't too far off from a nicely redone muncie.

This route is just going to take a little longer to come up with the scratch. On a positive side, it is tax time and I'm hoping for the big return...as long as I keep my wife out of the mall.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.