Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,just wanta say i'm new to this site and have been reading all,the postings and found alot of great info,thanks!!! just one quick question do i really need the junction box?or can i bypass it and run the heavy gage red wire right to the pos. battery cable?its a 66 sb 4-speed thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
17,930 Posts
Bryce, the lead to the junction box is a fusible link. It looks like a standard wire, but its not. Its a fuse. Therefore if there is a short somewhere in the system, it wont sizzle until something blows. I would RETAIN this fusible link!

BTW, are you related to the Gagne's, formerly of Tetford Mines? My wife's family.

------------------
Gene
ACES / CanAm Chevelles
Old Red

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Gene is correct. Don't pull it out. The link is built into the battery cable.
If your car has an ammeter in it, the junction block has another purpose. One leg of the ammeter goes to the block. Tying that wire to the battery would be a lot of trouble.

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 01-14-2003).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys,i'm in the process of rewiring the whole car from harness's that i'v bought here and there(the previous owner started a restro.but took the car apart with a chain saw i think)the front light harness is off a 67 and the box was cut off but i found one in a can off stuff that was in the trunk and i'm using a battery cable off a newer 83 grand prix and it did'nt have a fusable link on it.so this box acts like a link?or should i install a fusable link along with the box on rad support? btw don't think i'm related i'm from western Quebec

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Box doesn't act like a link. The link is in the battery cable. GM started to get away from this and put the links in other places. On my 72 Chevelle the input link is off the starter. Not sure if that's a better idea. Heck of a lot harder to change.
So as Gene advised, you need the link and your modern cable doesn't have it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts