Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What causes the speedometer needle in our '68 w/TH350 to bounce? Also,what are the 2 short hoses on the gas tank for? Our's has bolts stuck in them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Garyo, just a guess before you get better replies but as for the speedo, My thought would be to tight a bend in the cable and or needing some lubrication.The lines for the tank could be for returns and or venting.Hope this helps.Z

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Garyo, the two short rubber hoses that are clamped to the frame above the gas tank are vent hoses. Since the Filler cap isn't vented, air enters the tank to replace the fuel used through these hoses. I've seen come sort of one way valve pressed into them in the assembly manual, but on my '69 they are open. Anyway, bolts shouldn't be in them.
Rich

·
Registered
44 Posts
That's what my daily driver Monte Carlo did for years... spent ten bucks on a new speedo' cable and voila! No more bouncing.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
If your car originally had a Powerglide and was changed to a TH350 (I don't know if 68s had PG trans) then the cable may be pulled tight. The 350's connection is a little farther back on the trans. I don't know this as a fact, but the replacement cable (AC Delco w/housing for a TH350) I got is about 2" longer than the cable I took out (PG, original, I think).

[This message has been edited by Pat Kelley (edited 11-06-98).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.