Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed the jumper wire from the alt battery from the #2 plug in on the alt.Ran a new wire from the #2 plug in on the alt to the horn relay.
Results= 14.2 at all points but battery and b+ alt.Battery reads 15.2 b+ alt reads 15.2.With head lights on, two ele fuel pumps,ele water pump&
nitrous arming switch everthing reads 14.2 except the battery & alt b+,which reads 15.2.Is that to much?I did see I have a problem with the bottle heater for the bottle.Turn it on with everything eles on volts drop to 13.Thats just a matter of rewiring.I know you two are probably sick of me by now but a 12 pack should make it all better. :D :D

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for all your help.Everthing is working just fine [finally].Volts drop when everthing is on but give it a little gas the volts go right back up to 14.2.I thought the bottle heater had a problem but thats not the case.It must draw a lot but once you give it some gas it goes right back up to 14.2.Thanks very much Peter&JOHN.Driver

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'm not sick of anyone. Just been playing with roots in the sewer/drain line for a week+. Amazing what trees can do.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It's good to hear that the wiring change helped. It's looking good but the battery voltage is awfully high.

Try connecting the #2 terminal to your big firewall connector instead. You're looking for a configuration with a lower battery voltage which still keeps all the under hood voltages within an acceptable range. The voltaqe at the stock fuse block may drop a wee bit doing this but you should still get 14.2V at the firewall connector.

The only other thing I would suggest is to check the wiring from the firewall connector to the horn relay. Maybe there is a poor connection there that's causing a voltage drop. Maybe you should consider running a new 8 gauge wire for that whole run.

All your new accessories are connected to the firewall connector, right?

Peter

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats right.Most of everything runs off the cable connection thru the fire wall.I thought maybe the 15.2 was high.A car buddy down the street thinks it's fine as long as it doesn't get higher than 16 volts but I don't feel real comfortable with that.Is it normal for the head lights to be dim with everthing on and when you bring the rpms they get bright?Before this change my volt gauge never moved at all but now it does.When I say it never worked at all I mean it stayed at one reading but never moved when you brought up the rpms.Im leaving this morning for New York so I'll have to put things on hold.What would you like to see at the battery and alt b+?.Thanks Again,You have been great deal of help.Driver

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
With a lot of accessories on the alternator just can't keep up to the demand at idle. So, the accessories begin to run off battery voltage which is a lower voltage. This could be why you're seeing the lights dim. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're not idling it more than you're running at higher rpm's.

I personally wouldn't want much over about 14.5 volts on the battery. Above this you begin to overcharge the battery which shortens it's life.

With the measurements you posted, I still believe you may have an issue with the wiring either from the firewall connector to the horn relay or from the battery to the firewall connector. There should be basically no voltage difference between the battery and firewall connector.

Peter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts