Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spoke with a rep from Jet Hot Coatings about Headers for my 71SS454 with a/c (LS-6 crate motor). He recommended a Hooker header for this car and told me I might have to lift the motor to get the header in. What header should I put in this car that is going to give the best performance and is going to fit in an air conditioned car without mods. I don't mind spending the extra money I just want to do it right the first time.

Thanks,

Scott [email protected]

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would suggest buying low lost painted headers and then having them Jet hot coated. There is a NAPA store in Whapeton, ND that does the jet hot ceramic coating for $69 for the outsides, or $99 for both inside and out. And that price is for a pair of headers. I put a 350 in one of my chevelles and I bought some headers for $120 and then had them jet hot coated and they are excellent. It is better to buy headers that were made to fit the car and then having them coated. I don't know why you would have to pull the engine to put the headers on, I wouldn't do that. cuz if you have your plugs out, the headers should fit with some manuvering. To find the NAPA # for Wahpeton, just call the 1-800 international number and ask for the particular store.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If your running a big block it is normal to lift the motor to get the headers in. Some of the problems I've seen with running a cheap header is they don't always fit just right. Headmans or Hookers would work great with the Jet Hot coating. Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is always a possibilty that your headers may need minor modifications. I recomend buying uncoated headers and putting them on your car as a trial fit. Then if mods are needed, you can do what is required without having to mess up the coating. Then ship them to Jet-Hot and you know they will fit.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I don’t know what brand of header I have but I did take them off and had them Jet Hot coated this past winter. As others have said, the right side is no problem. The left side ( driver’s side ) I had to remove the clutch linkage, no big deal, and disconnected the steering at the knuckle and then just slid the steering column to the side and they slid right in, from the bottom so have the car up in the air. Of course you have to have the plugs removed also.

I guess it is matter of choice. Loosen the motor mounts and lift the engine a couple inches or remove a couple of other parts. Not hard, just a little time consuming for a job that you think should be quick and easy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a set of 2" primary tubes from Jet Hot that were coated in and out for my 70 LS6. They fit reasonably well and were reasonably priced. I was fortunate enough to have the motor out at the time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.