Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done this for corrosion prevention? Can it be done?

·
Registered
258 Posts
I just bought a new tank. I believe it is galvanized. I was not sure tho, so I painted it with Tank Tone. Its a paint from the Eastwood company with a high zinc content. I used on my 67, although I'm not sure if it is concours correct. It is silvery in color. It looks cool with black tank straps.

Jet-hot would cost major bucks. I did my exhaust manifolds that way - $210. A gas tank might be $300 or more.
------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

[This message has been edited by jaqazi (edited 02-10-99).]

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
The OEM tanks are coated with a lead alloy called terneplate. This is less chemically active than the zinc in galvanizing. And it is easy to solder.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I not just looking for the corrosion coating on the outside. I want it on the inside too.
I have heard of a "slosh" kit for motorcycle fuel tanks. You mix it together and pour it it and make sure you coat the inside of the tank, pour the excess out and allow to set up and cure for a long time.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
The terneplate is on both sides of the metal that the tank is stamped from, so it is inside as well as outside. Be careful with the sloshing agents (such as 3M's product #776) as some are not resistant to fuels that contain alcohol. The ones that resist alcohol say so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.