Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 71 chevelle with a 350 out of 72 truck or something like that. My alternator went out on me 2 days ago. I went to O'reilly's to get another one. I put it on and everything. I pull off the battery cable and it dies. I posted a forum on a different website and he tells me that I have to have a wire running from the internal regulator of the alternator(male connector F) to the back of the alternator where the battery hooks up. So I do that, pull the battery cable off it works so I do it again with my headlights on. It blows the headlights out. I really have no clue as to why it did that, but I when I pull th cable off the dome light inside, when its on, gets super bright like its gettin too much juice, that would explain the headlights. Its supose to be a 61amp alternator designed for my car. Oem I guess. Can someone point me in the right direction??

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Well, first off, don't keep yanking the cable off the battery to check the alternator. It's not great on the alternator and doesn't tell you if the alternator is properly working. It only tells you that it's putting a voltage out even though the voltage may be wrong. Use a meter and measure the voltage from the alternator large B+ stud (red wire) to ground. A good alternator puts out 13.5 to 14.7 volts.

It sounds like you have converted your wiring to handle an internally regulated alternator. That's what I think I'm reading. Is that was you asked for and bought at the store? Or did you get one for a 71 Chevelle? If you wiring has been changed for a newer internally regulated alternator, this is the proper way to do it. http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html

If you look at Wes's diagrams, you will see that the F wire does not go to the back of the alternator. The alternator Field (F) wire goes to the idiot light. Someone gave you the wrong information.

If you have a stock car with stock accessories, the 61 amp alternator is an OK size.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,037 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bad66chevelle:

So I do that, pull the battery cable off it works so I do it again with my headlights on. It blows the headlights out.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's just one reason you should never remove a battery cable with the engine running

1 - 3 of 3 Posts