Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Got an intire interior kit in boxes in my garage. Inside I have the assmebled panels.
When I got them I took a look and they looked great to me. A lot better than the 30+ year old ones in my car now.

------------------
Deon
72SS454 Clone
Website

·
Registered
636 Posts
I have a set in my car. They fit great and look even better. And for the price you an go wrong. I got mine from Year One and when it came one of them had a very small cut in it. I called them and they sent a new set out without asking any questions, so take that into consideration when buying from suppliers.

------------------
Mat Ellison
Lincoln, Ne
70 SS 396 Chevelle
62 Impala Sport Coupe
2001 Grand Prix GT
Aces #2424
http://www.geocities.com/elliboom/Mats_70_Chevelle.html?994781720927

·
Registered
543 Posts
pre-assembled is good because those dam staples that hold the window fuzzys are almose impossible to get right. but here's the thing, at the top of the door panel the curved part at the top was metal on factory door panels. the pre-assembled repro uses molded plastic (call and ask pui or your supplier). if you get the kit, and can find some grumpy old trim guy to use your original metal door panels it will be more like it cam from factory. details

·
Registered
120 Posts
It doesnt say anything about being PUI in the Year One does it? My friend got a bunch of interior parts from OPG. Which is better quality...the OPG seat covers seemed good but I want the best for my baby

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
We have purchased a ton of parts from OPG, and have never had a problem (They don't sell PUI!).

When we decided on the PUI Pre-Assembled Door Panels, we called Year One.

ANSWER=Top Rail is "Plastic!"

Now! PUI sells "Gold Edition" Door Panels!? How do we know? The Team Members on this site say so!

And, we have never, ever received any but the "Best Advice" and recommendations from the Team Members!

Who sells them (Gold Edition)!?

We haven't found out yet!

And we're way past due in getting them! Way, way, past due!

Chime In Team Members!

------------------
Team Members Forever #341

Richard, Judy, MAXX2

'69 Elke (Frame Off); GM HO 350/330-Mildly Ported Vortec Heads-Manley Severe Duty SS 2.02/1.60 Valves, Comp Cams Full Roller Package (Magnum)-Custom Grind CS 3315/3316 HR112-.510/.520 Lift, Edelbrock Air-Gap W/750 Performer Manual Choke-Performer 100 HP NOS, March Pulleys, 4L60 (Non Computer) W/Lokar Shifter, 12 Bolt Posi.

·
Premium Member
7,650 Posts
FYI: The pre-assembled door panels I got for my old 69 from NPD were from PUI, and they had a metal top rail- Not the plastic one.

That was 2 years ago- no gold edition or anything.

------------------
Ben Rambow
1970 El Camino SS
My old 1969 El Camino
The El Camino Classics Club
"Whats the matter with the car I'm Driving? Can't ya tell that its out of style..."

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
JR.

We await your post on how your "Gold Edition" PUI Pre-Assembled Door Panels look, as we need to order ours "NOW".

------------------
Team Members Forever #341

Richard, Judy, MAXX2

'69 Elke (Frame Off); GM HO 350/330-Mildly Ported Vortec Heads-Manley Severe Duty SS 2.02/1.60 Valves, Comp Cams Full Roller Package (Magnum)-Custom Grind CS 3315/3316 HR112-.510/.520 Lift, Edelbrock Air-Gap W/750 Performer Manual Choke-Performer 100 HP NOS, March Pulleys, 4L60 (Non Computer) W/Lokar Shifter, 12 Bolt Posi.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No problem. Hope to have them soon. I didn't think to ask about the "ABS plastic vs. metal" when I ordered....I'm really curious now, but from everything I've read, the PUI pre-assembled was the way to go...choices...choices

Forgot to mention, after I placed thr order for the panels and a few other items, he quoted me the total price, it was exactly what I had calculated in the catalog, so I asked about the shipping...he said it was FREE! Turns out it's Free shipping on anything over $300.00. I just knew the panels were going to be "additional shipping charges", but no, the entire order shipped FREE!!!!

------------------
JR
TC #1098
My 69 Convertible
Body work and interior started June 02

My 2001 Z28 - LS1

[This message has been edited by jerryr (edited 07-09-2002).]

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, believe it or not, I received the panels today! Ordered on Sunday, delivered on Tuesday. I know they're not a sponsor, but they do have great service. Anyway, they look great. the DO HAVE the steel backing! Below is a couple of pics, but first...

How do you cut the hole for the window crank?

I noticed they do not have the holes in the bottom for the screws, I guess I just hang them and punch them in???

Anyway, here are the pics. I also ordered the rears (convertible) if anyone needs to see them also...On to the pics!

This is the steel backing
New and Old panels

------------------
JR
TC #1098
My 69 Convertible

My 2001 Z28 - LS1

[This message has been edited by jerryr (edited 07-09-2002).]

[This message has been edited by jerryr (edited 07-10-2002).]

·
Registered
826 Posts
I swear I just saw Gold Edition door panels for sale in a special Year One catalog I received last week regarding them moving to a new location. They had all kinds of things up to 50% off and I think I saw Gold Edition panels in there! I'll call home and have my wife check it out and report back.

------------------
Scott Wolfe
Leck Kill, Pa.
70 Chevelle SS L34

·
Registered
826 Posts
Sorry guys, I was confused as I do spend too much time looking at these parts catalogs which gets me in trouble with the wife! It's OK to dream about buying this stuff isn't it?

Here it is: National Parts Depot (NPD) has the Gold Edition door panels with "GM style cardboard inserts enhancing the originality and design of the panel." Says non-assembled for 129.99 a pair and 69.00 a pair for the coupe 1/4 trim. My catalog doesn't have a pre-assemled price. How much more are they Jerry?

Doesn't mention anything avbout metal or plastic though but I have just read Jerry's post and he got metal on the ones he ordered. They look great! Might have to get me some of them one day.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm pretty sure these are not referred to as "Gold Edition". Seems to me they were just "pre-assembled, no stapling, no gluing, etc." The fronts were $179.00, the rears (convertible) were $149.00.

If anyone knows the best way to "cut" the hole for the window crank, I would appreceiate it.

I'm also curious as to how you align them up to put the screws in the bottoms (since there's no holes)...I guess the answer is very carefully???

------------------
JR
TC #1098
My 69 Convertible

My 2001 Z28 - LS1

[This message has been edited by jerryr (edited 07-11-2002).]

·
Premium Member
7,650 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jerryr:
If anyone knows the best way to "cut" the hole for the window crank, I would appreceiate it...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When i did this on my 69- I slid the new door panels on at the top rail, and let them rest out over the door & window cranks- Then simply marked them on the back where the crank hit- Took it back off, punched out the hole w/ a razor blade(very careful not to rip the vinal. viola.

The holes at the bottom were easier- after the window crank holes were done- now the door panel would sit on the door flat- I took an awl- lifted up the panel to locate the hole- the put the panel back down and punched through into the hole with the awl. Then put in the screw.

Since my old panels didn't have the clips in them, I was lazy and didn't mess with putting them back in- so i don't have any tips for getting them lined up right. I understand they are pretty tricky.

Anyway- hope this helps.
BTW: If you have to cut through the plastic chrome trim for the window holes (i did on my 69) have a little bit of super glue handy to glue the edges back down- otherwise they will begin to lift up.

------------------
Ben Rambow
1970 El Camino SS
My old 1969 El Camino
The El Camino Classics Club
"Whats the matter with the car I'm Driving? Can't ya tell that its out of style..."

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 21 Posts