Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.... I am a true die hard Chevy man. But the other day I found a good deal on a 95 Mustang Convertible for my daughter, she will be sixteen in a few months.

The drivers seat is electric doesn't work, I found a blown 30 amp fuse in a panel under the hood. Changed it, the seat moved a little and popped the fuse. New fuse, same thing. Third fuse blew when I put it in.

Ok.. I realize that I am going to catch heck for the Ford question. But I also bet someone is willing to help me find the problem. Especially since it's for my daughter.

Oh, by the way, I did try to get help on the Mustang forum, no help there!

tas

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I would also check to see if there is anything in the seat track that could be causing the problem (like some coins or ? that fell into the track and have become wedged in).
I would think also by taking the seat out you could maybe see if you could disconnect the output shafts between the motor and the gears to allow you to check the motor itself to see if it is working and to see if just that would blow the fuse to try and narrow down the problem.
With the seat out you could also check the other wiring on the seat past the switch itself for a possible short or pinched wire.
Jim

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the same exact problem in my 94 mustang (not a convertible), it also worked after my father put in a new 30 amp fuse then when I stopped the car and started it again it would not work, so I figured the fuse was blown (even though I haven't checked it.)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I pulled the seat out today. And I was able to run both motors using a pair of jumper cables clipped to a pair of tester leads.

What I found... the motors work fine, it looks as though the unit is binding due to a bad gas charge lift cylinder. Looks like this thing helps hold up or help the seat go up and down. The thing is kinda like one of those things that hold up the hood or hatch on the newer cars. I took it off and the motors ran great. I will try to find a new gas strut thingy. Probably a dealer item.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts