Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This project really started in the fall of 2015, when my good friend of 17 years, Chevelles.com's own Mr 4 speed, pointed me towards a used Vortecpro 454 that he found on the Craigslist. A search through Chevelles.com archives verified that this was legit. Thanks for all the help along the way Chris.

June 2016 seemed like a good time to get started on the swap.

This car started life as a LS4/M21 car. I had the trans rebuilt as an M20, after I destroyed the clutch.

I also decided that this was a good opportunity to smash the piggy bank open and get an overdrive transmission. After doing oodles of research, and all the pros and cons of TKO 600 vs Richmond, I went with the Richmond 5 speed overdrive.

I'll spare you the photos of hot sweaty days in the summer checking the runout on the bell housing, but there is a RAM billet flywheel and McLeod Super Street Pro attached to the back of this motor, that finally found its way under the hood, November 2016.

And I finally fired her up, and let the transmission get some oil moving around a couple of days ago. Just in time for a big snow storm to roll through tomorrow! Oh well, it will be ready for the next decent day.

·
Super Moderator
9,623 Posts
Nice Dave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Haven't seen much from you for quite a few years Dave. Nice project and keep us updated!

Reactions: 300Deluxe

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks fellas. Yeah I don't get around these parts much, but who could forget all of you guys?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A little slower 13.44 @ 104

Reactions: mr 4 speed

·
Premium Member
11,261 Posts
AWESOME DAVE!!!!! Await the test vids!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks alot guys... its taken entirely too long to get going, but its finally ready. If I didn't swap transmissions and change over to an electric pump with return, this would have taken significantly less time.

As soon as this snow clears there should be some test videos... they will be gentle for a while as I break in the clutch and trans.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Steve!

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,330 Posts
Wow, that bracket that holds the idle solenoid on the front of the Q-jet. That's a rare piece. I've only seen one of those before.

Did an overhaul and fix up on an LS-5 in a 71 Vette museum piece awhile back. It has A/C but the idle torque of it is enough to not need a solenoid. It's actually a 496 now.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, that bracket that holds the idle solenoid on the front of the Q-jet. That's a rare piece. I've only seen one of those before..
Really? Wow, I had no idea.. thats pretty cool!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks great. Any floor mods to fit the Richmond?
Just around the shifter hole, pretty much all sides except for the one closest to the firewall. Other than that, the transmission really clears the tunnel very well. I don't know how that would compare to an A body, but I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of floor modifications needed. The crossmember was another story, but in an A body you guys would have the luxury of moving it back and drilling some new holes. 4 speed corvettes have a fixed crossmember, and the emergency brake is connected to it as well, so its a little bit of a different animal there.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
Just around the shifter hole, pretty much all sides except for the one closest to the firewall. Other than that, the transmission really clears the tunnel very well. I don't know how that would compare to an A body, but I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of floor modifications needed. The crossmember was another story, but in an A body you guys would have the luxury of moving it back and drilling some new holes. 4 speed corvettes have a fixed crossmember, and the emergency brake is connected to it as well, so its a little bit of a different animal there.
I'm sorry, thought this was in your 67. Hard to tell on my phone.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Nice to see you stopping by here, Dave, and best of luck with the swap!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts