Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a little long but it proves the wisdom of not street racing...

One of the joys of owning a Chevelle is that you get to meet some very interesting people. This weekend was no exception.

It was Friday, I had the day off and the Chevelle was due for an oil change. So, I warm her up a little and park out on the driveway and proceed to get started on the oil change. Now, I live on a small cul-de-sac with maybe 6 other houses so we don't get too much traffic. You can imagine my surprise when I hear a truck pull up an a voice shout out "Hello". It was an older fella, maybe 65 to 70 years old. He had just looked at a Camaro which was for sale down the street. It turns out he is a car nut too and wanted to get back into owning a muscle car. Well, the fella isn't that serious but I entertain his conversation as I changed the oil. He went around the car, checking it out, asking questions. I think most of you guys know the question he was going to ask. "So… " the old fellow asks " Is she for sale?" So I look up from under the hood, look him in the eye and reply "Everything is for sale… for a price!" He knew exactly what that meant and we had a good laugh at that. It was nice having the guy take an interest in the car and to joke around with.

Well, I spent so much time talking to this guy, I didn't have a chance to do my post oil change test drive. (Ok, any excuse to drive the Chevelle is a good reason.) So on Saturday, I fire her up and take her around town. The day was cool but not too cold to drive with the windows down… my favorite way to drive. So, I am on my way back home. I am on a small city street following two pickups. No body is in a hurry and that's fine with me… until I see a little Dodge Neon filling up my rear view mirror. I say to myself, "Whatever, pass me when you get the chance… I don't care." But no, junior doesn't want to pass. He wants to be stupid. So the road we are on dead ends into a larger city street… two lanes each direction. Both the pickup trucks and I turning right. So of course Junior turns right as well. My plan was to stay behind the trucks and let him blast past me with his fully tricked out Neon. (BTW, the Neon had the fart can exhaust, huge Superbird style wing and was lowered.) Well, I look in my rear view mirror and he's just waiting at the stop sign. Ok. I figure it was safe to get into the left lane and pass these trucks going a little under the speed limit. Well, as soon as I get into the left lane, Junior comes barreling up on me. He didn't get a chance to fully catch up to me before we all had to stop at a traffic light. I'm in the left lane, he's behind me and the two trucks are still in the right lane. With the windows down, I can hear Junior throwing revs at me with that darn coffee can exhaust. Whatever, I think he believes that the exhaust gives him 50 hp, the cold air intake gives him another 24 hp, etc. The light turns green and we all take off, the guys in the truck just sit at the light because they don't want to be around. I just go at my normal speed, no mashing the pedal, no nice black marks being put down. So Jr pulls along my right side and keeps throwing the revs at me. This keeps up for few seconds before we hit the next traffic light. I am just ignoring this bozo… until he guns his engine then down shifts. The dum dum downshifts so hard that he gets this huge backfire out his exhaust. He scares himself and catches the wrong gear. The car comes to a herky-jerky stop at the stop sign. And he stalls it! I pull up along side him, and the kid is desperately trying to restart his car and look cool at the same time. Tears are rolling down my face because I am laughing so hard. He won't look at me and I can't blame him. The light turns green and he slams on the gas. He takes off flying down the street. I just let him go. A couple of seconds later, guess what I see coming off a side street. Yup, the local PD with lights on, going after Junior. I think that boy's day just went from bad to worse! I'm glad he didn't pull me over, I was laughing so hard he probably would have thought I was on something.

That's the good thing about owning a Chevelle, it's always an adventure!

Bill

·
Registered
14,615 Posts
I had something similar happen just after high school. We had a guy that built a datsun or toyota corola type car, Im talking circa 1975 type import. He had the slot mags and some sort of header, holley 2 barrel carb. So me and a friend is sitting at a light, the guy pulls up and starts revving the heck out of his motor. Im in my 71 camaro. just a mild 350, anyway as im sitting there I look in the rear view and I have a cop sitting behind me. The light turns green, the toyota dumps the clutch and lights up the B60x13s, I putt across the intersection, the cop pulls the numnuts over I just laugh my butt off. Jim

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IF the guy knew how to drive it.
Bryan - He DID know how to drive it... I was laughing so hard there is no way I could race him even if I tried!

Rick - Thanks. It's the original Mohave Gold. Yeah, it looks brown but it's the right color for the car. I like your Red and Black. Nice looking red.

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.