Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blame this wonderful site, especially Al, Rainer, and Skip ( in memoriam )for my recent '67 SS purchase. I had simply been looking for a home for my old 427 I built as a kid, and the car popped up, I found you guys and WHAM. That's all she wrote. The first owner popped the 396 by racing with 4.88's and unfortunately spilled his guts for us in 'Nam and never had a chance to rebuild it.( When I get the VIN search back from my neighbor, the cop and confirm the story's true that man's name is going on the car somewhere - HUA ) The second owner pulled the motor and never replaced it. The thrid owner found a late 60's Camaro 396 and only ran it one year ( 1990 ). The car's got 28,000 original, M-21, 12 bolt with 3.31's , radio delete, no power anything ( cool!), and hasn't not been cut up or abused! The fourth owner ( me) is foolishly going to drop a L89 427 tri-power in the engine bay and call this a SS427 ( thanks for the idea Skip wherever you are! ). I'll post progress as I go along. Allright Chevelle owners here's my one question: I WILL NOT BE BEAT BY PUNKS IN MUSTANGS. You guys have run your cars for a while, what does it take to wax a 5.0. Even though this car will be carefully redone for shows, NO EXCUSES. Any thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 04-23-99).]

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
You're right, it is our fualt, and I feel just terrible about it.

A self appointed scapegoat for Team Chevelle, I'll be willing to come over and clean up this entire mess. Don't worry, once I leave with that 427SS on the trailer, you'lll be albe to put this all behind you and get on with things.

Again, we're all sorry that we caused this to happen

Kurt, just here to help...really...

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kurt,

No trailer for this bad girl! She is in dire need of her original Bolero Red coat however. ( Man, paint jobs are big $$$).

W

·
0 Posts
Unless that 5.0 has had some serious work done to it, the 27 is more than up to the task. Although tri-power is not my thing, if you find someone who knows how to set one up, they can be something special.

I had a 390 27 in my 65 chevelle, little head work, Crane solid lifter cam, roller rockers and a Holley three barrel carb. Car was a rocket.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Wally. Now you've got me all concerned about the rect port heads! Actually, as I started diggin' on what 427 would've been used, it seems the assembly manual shows the L71. Skip's car apprears to have cast irons as well. Well, I'll use what I got. I'm not sure I could take the compression with iron heads ( 10.6 with 115cc). By the way, the tri power manifolds for ovals are way more expensive ( read rare ).

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 04-23-99).]

·
Gold Founding Member
1,348 Posts
I found the oval port to be cheaper I am putting a 68 lowrise oval port Tripower On my engine for a 69 I was told by the parts dealer who had some other Tripowers that the Rectangular Higher Versions are way more than what I paid for mine Good Luck Mike

·
Administrator
3,375 Posts
Does this mean we get to go for a ride
I'll bring the binoculars so we can see how far back the 'stang is.

Don't forget, we want some picts!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Al, I don't know where Creston is, but if there's anyway we can get together for a "beat" run in my '67, we're there. From the sounds of it, I may mount my spotting scope on the rear deck to se that 'stang. Seriously, I haven't done this in almost twenty years, you know, school, Army, career, family, and I'll need a bunch of help. I don't have many gearhead cronies here in Buffalo ( although I'm meeting more and more all the time), I'll be asking you guys a bunch of questions. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this site and all your help. I'll have to buy a scanner so pics will become available. Be patient, to do my ss427 right may take some time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.