Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Man, this front end thing is kicking my behind. All bushings, tie rods, sway bar bushing/brackets, brake lines, PS hoses, brake booster, and other suspension parts will be brand new. One of the lower A arms bolt broke and it's brich to get it out. Hope to add all markings and dab paints to it. Then assemble engine and put it back on the frame. Hey, I might be ahead of my ten year deadline of 2019.
I have to say thank you to my friend Billy and Anibal (pic) for their help. Note the one car garage; not the perfect place to work.
Edit: broken bolt is out.:hurray:

Attachments

·
Banned
14,069 Posts
So ,you are one of those paint dab guys?:sad::D

Good luck on your project.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,689 Posts
Glad to here you got the bolt out. Working on the front end for me was not all that much fun for me. I barely had enough room in my two car garage, working in a one car garage really got to be a challenge. Keep up the good work and keep us post on your progress.
Ray

·
Registered
719 Posts
Very nice lookin!

Go return those OE brand chassis parts to Advanced asap!

·
Premium Member
14,304 Posts
Lookin good Luis, ya, I know what it's like trying to work in a one car doing a resto like you are. Take your time and get it right the first time. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Worked all day today removing rust with a drill and sand paper. Cleaned the chasis with degreaser, thinner, soap and water. Covered with one layer of rostoleum primer. Used it 12 year ago and gave me good result. Will apply another coat on Saturday and will sand it down. Finish it with Eastwood chasis paint. The bad news is I broke the head of the sway bar bolt. Any ideas how to extracting it out?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Both lower A arms had to be replaced. One turned out to be oval and the other was damaged while installing the bushing. Today I was able to bead blast some of the suspension parts, and get some primer on them. Am I getting, too much into numbers? Dissapointed with Right Stuff parts as they do not have part numbers on them. There is a guy in California that goes by the name of Steve... Gregory I believe. Anyone has his phone number or address? I'm going to send the caliper mounting brakets to be cad plated as they are the originals with correct numbers. Also, any one has a set of caliper backing plate with correct numbers (see pic.) Parts should be getting some paint once detail gray arrives this week.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
I think of the numbers rat race as this. If your car wasn't numbers matching with no docs, why bother. But yours is, so have at it. Also, i too am doing this in a one bay rented garage. So i feel your pain with this.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Luis I don't think you can see the #'s on the caliper bracket when their on.But I can see where your coming from.Stuff looks great that frontend detailing can turn into a big job.

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Adding a few more details. Thanks Rich decals look great.:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Just quick update, we are in the process of assembling the engine. Heads have about 5K miles on it. Bill K. rebuilt them back in 97. I will be consulting with him to see if we can just put them back like this or see what he suggests. Note the re-stamped blocked.:D
Caliper backing plates have been bead blasted at a rate of almost an hour each. That powder coating is the pits to remove. They are now heading to CA to be plated along with the calipper mounting bracketes, and the sway bar brackets. Correct dated carb will be next to be sent to be detailed. Nothing but... money, nothing but... money my friends.:(
Thanks Billy for your help!:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,318 Posts
Garage, you guys have garages?

I am jealous!!!!!

1 - 20 of 91 Posts