Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran new engine first time at a 1/4 mile track Sunday;slower than expected.First run: [email protected];didn't feel right,felt like a phantom 'chute was opened.Second run: [email protected];went dead before the 1/4,flooded,hard to restart.Third run:[email protected];nosed over but kept running(roughly)back to pits.Opened her up,no bad connections,light brown but damp plugs.The carb(800 dp,no power valve,78's squared all'round)was my first suspect,but went over her today...everything checks out from idle to 3k rpm(6.5psi steady as were fuel levels).Then I re-checked for loose wiring...none,but,voltage to Mallory Promaster coil(read at coil + and - terminals) was only 0.815v at idle (800).Only rises to 2.375v at 2500-3000rpm or so.But it still starts and runs.Aren't I supposed to be getting at least 8v and up from my Mallory IV-C ignition box?Anybody have a similar set-up?This doesn't make any sense to me.Help!

------------------
66 malibu 427,69 c-10 350,65 chevy-II 327,etc.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Yeah confusing sometimes. Sounds like you did OK for the first run.
Try measuring between the + and chassis ground. I don't have a set-up like yours but think you will see higher voltage this way.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
You are reading the voltage drop across the coil itself. John is correct. To see what voltage that "gets" to the coil, take your meter and probe the positive terminal with the meter (-) on the vehicle's chassis ground.

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 04-09-2001).]

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.I see that you're right,since the inputs to the coil come from the cd box, not true bat power or true ground.I've been on the go since 3am (it's now 10pm)and just got home,or I would take new readings.Tomorrow.P.S.I may have been just grasping at straws to explain my poor performance.My engine builder and 2 dyno programs said high 11's.I would be satisfied to consistently FINISH the 1/4.

------------------
66 malibu 427,69 c-10 350,65 chevy-II 327,etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts