Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,105 Posts
http://www.iskycams.com/BearingFlyer.pdf Thought some might find it interesting.

As a side note, I know of one set of regular Red Zones sent back and rebuilt to the EZ roller. Cost was over $400 to rebuild/convert them.
=
It is the $260 rebuild charge plus the $150 charge for the new bearing.
When buying new the upgrade is also $150

Have a few sets out there now,,, so far so good but they don't have any time to speak of yet.
According to Ron & Richard they are seeing outstanding results from the last couple of years of testing, both hi spring pressures & endurance.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Big advantage I can see is not having to fish around for all the little needle bearings when a lifter goes south...;)
While we're on the subject...
How often do y'all recommend to have the Red Zones rebuilt?

·
Premium Member
13,105 Posts
Big advantage I can see is not having to fish around for all the little needle bearings when a lifter goes south...;)
While we're on the subject...
How often do y'all recommend to have the Red Zones rebuilt?
=
Really hard queston to answer :cool:
If it were me I would be checking them every winter.
If you drive a lot it would probably be after a few thousand miles, if they seem happy go for longer intervals
Now, I know of a few engines that have run them for a very long time with no issues
A couple I can vouch of for sure & a number of circle track deals with way too many seasons on them but,,,,
One is a small block that is driven all the time, over 80K last I heard & he did nothing but change the oil & adjust the valves on at oil change
This engine has a Revkit as I recall but Revkits are easy in a small block, pain in the a$$ in a Rat especially with the Dart block. Never have put one in but I am looking,,,,,,
BB with at least 20K on in now, it had about 15k a year ago & I have not heard from him for a year or so.
Usually hear if something happens :D

Rowdy had just under 5000 & lost a lifter.
This one may have not been all lifter though as some of the other lobes
did not look real happy for some reason.
I Rock-welled it as did Ron & it was fine but something was going on that he does not have a real answer for.

Talk about a cop-out answer :D ,,, best I can do though.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
Jim Oddy 450 seat, 1300 open. oof.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
=
It is the $260 rebuild charge plus the $150 charge for the new bearing.
When buying new the upgrade is also $150

Have a few sets out there now,,, so far so good but they don't have any time to speak of yet.
According to Ron & Richard they are seeing outstanding results from the last couple of years of testing, both hi spring pressures & endurance.
Yes, these did not need to be rebuilt, were excellent according to Isky. He just wanted to try out the new design. Probably would have been better off using the old ones on another project, and buying a new set of the EZ rollers. He gets a good deal from Ron too!

·
Premium Member
13,105 Posts
Sounds like they may be using that ultrafine diamond "plated/coating" on something like say, a 40 Rc OQT steel inner bushing to get them to hold up???

Just guessing is all b/c I have NO idea how they are building them??

pdq67
=
Nope, DLC it ain't ;)

It is a proprietary bronze material, they are not saying what though as they have the exclusive rights in this application for the time being is my understanding.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
you know it kind of chaps my A$$ a bit that they want that much money to swap over current Red Zones to the new design. In their OWN flyer they admonish and admit to inherent weakness in the needle design. Just a year ago they touted them as being the best on the market and durable. Obviously they had a issue with lifter failure ( and discussed here ) and were forced to come up with an alternative. So here is my choices

Live in torment running the lifters and just see what happens

Send in my already expensive lifters with less than a hours time on them and pay $425 more dollars to get a durable lifter which is what i thought i had to begin with.

They should suck it up and make some concessions to those that have recently purchased their lifters. I mean what the hell are they gonna rebuild on my brand new lifters? why not just charge the $150 for the upgraded components? Thats just not right. I cant see where it would cost any different than if they took a box of new ones off the shelf and upgraded to the new bushing design.

Seriously frustrating.

Shawn

G

·
Mike,

All I'm going to say is that Isky better have a real pressure lube design to lube both the inner axle AND outter race/bore OR eventually those places will gaul..

You can't run metal to metal w/o a hydrodynamic wedge lube film between them in BOTH places for any length of time before failure, imho.

That's why I mentioned the "DLC" stuff b/c I read it is quite the extreme pressure hi-po wear coating in poorly lube situations like solid roller lifters operate under..............

Mike,

Please tell me my thinking is ALL WET here b/c I really want to be able to run a solid roller cam for the extra HP it will produce even w/ Harold's new solid lifter flat-tappet design for the good old CC 288AR solid street roller..

I'm pulling for Isky as well as for Schubeck too, to get this crap figured out so's they will work long-term in a daily driver situation!!!!!!!

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Premium Member
13,105 Posts
Mike,

All I'm going to say is that Isky better have a real pressure lube design to lube both the inner axle AND outter race/bore OR eventually those places will gaul..

You can't run metal to metal w/o a hydrodynamic wedge lube film between them in BOTH places for any length of time before failure, imho.

That's why I mentioned the "DLC" stuff b/c I read it is quite the extreme pressure hi-po wear coating in poorly lube situations like solid roller lifters operate under..............

Mike,

Please tell me my thinking is ALL WET here b/c I really want to be able to run a solid roller cam for the extra HP it will produce even w/ Harold's new solid lifter flat-tappet design for the good old CC 288AR solid street roller..

I'm pulling for Isky as well as for Schubeck too, to get this crap figured out so's they will work long-term in a daily driver situation!!!!!!!

pdq67
=
Well,, I guess the old flat head ford bearing design didn't work then :D

And yes, the lifters have pressure lube to the axle but remember, delivery pressure is not what lubes a bearing, as you stated, the film of oil does
With rollers this film is disrupted into a lot of very small "wedges"
A sleeve bearing will handle much more load as it has more surface area.
But the fact is this is all academic as the "bronze" bushing is pressed into the steel wheel & only runs on oil at the axle, it is not a "floating bearing"

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
Shawn,

I wouldn't get all upset over that marketing material. Your RZ are still as good as they were. I mean, what would you expect them to put in the sales lit for their new product? Keep in mind that this board is just a drop in the ocean of the larger internet, and only people with problems post complaints.

How many guys here had trouble with their RZ?

Careful about getting caught up in www buzz about stuff. Just because it's been beat to death in this little corner of the net doesn't mean there's a widespread problem.

Would you get all upset about your lifters if you ran across some guy in a bar who had trouble with a set? In fact, it's not even a set, it's a single lifter IIRC.

·
Team Member , Vegas TC Ambassador
3,349 Posts
Me and Mike had an extended telephone conversation on this very subject just the other day, the rebuild part anyway. My problem is the fact that, if I sent my Red Zones in to be rebuilt (as I did)), not upgraded (mine were upgraded), but rebuilt with regular old needle bearings, then I would expect them to be returned with, at very least, new axle, rollers and bearings. Wasn't the advertised price to rebuild the old lifters $250 all along.

I find it kinda hard to believe that the price remains the same for simply pressing 16 axles in and out. I haven't received my upgraded lifters yet, they are in route from Mike's. He said that the lifter body itself appears to have had nothing done to it other than intall the new rollers. Still has the same minor scratches, discoloration, etc...

It very well sounds as though purchasing new/upgraded is the only reasonable way to go. Maybe the offer to upgrade exiting units was made with good intentions, but it sounds as though the end result is resentment. They could have just offered them as a new product, probably wouldn't have had half the reaction.

As far as denouncing the original Red Zones, I don't think that it is an issue at all. Shouldn't every company that expects to stay ahead of the competition, be experimenting with bettering their existing product. Isky has long been accused of being too comfortable with the tried and true. It almost seems hypocritical to condemn the old because of the new. It's nothing more than the natural evolution of information, engineering and time.

I'm currently experiencing a similar, but unrelated dilemma. I've been looking at new cars, but I don't want to be the guy that bought the '04 Mustang or the '84 Vette. Driving a brand new car that in every aspect, other than the monthly payment, is already so yesterday. Dated mechanically and physically.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If the charge to rebuild regular red zones is $260, including parts, why would they still charge you $260 +$150 for the new EZ roller? Doesn't make sense to me. Some of that $260 should be for parts. But if you upgrade, it's all labor? Hmmm.

G

·
I don't have a problem buying a new model car at all. I bought my '67 SS/RS Camaro new, sight unseen in Oct. '66 and a new '75 Monza 2+2 fine...

Bttt......

Mike,

I wish Isky woulda pressed the "bronze", whatever, onto the axle and let it float against the larger hole in the roller b/c then there would be more surface area to generate a decent hydraulic lube wedge..

At least, seem's to me to be better...

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
3,349 Posts
That was kind of my point. I want the needle bearings, rollers and axles that I paid for.

It's the "principle", more than the actual parts.

Then again, if this upgrade results in never having to experience another failure, then the expense will be hailed as the best money ever spent.

Hope that's not just wishful thinking.

P.S. My rebuilt/upgraded lifters, as well as, everything else that I had been waiting for, were delivered just 15 minutes ago. Haven't opened the box though. The only pieces yet to arrive are the thicker walled Manley pushrods.

·
3,349 Posts
pdq,

The new car thing, wasn't the purchase, per say, but the manner that the two particular examples were depreciated excessively by the offerings of the next model year.

The 2005, retro Mustang, totally dated the '04 model as "old". And the port injection of the '85 Vette, all but obsoleted the throttle body injection, and therefore, the desireability of the '84 Vette.

·
Registered
334 Posts
hmm, interesting. Still I wonder why someone doesn't design a system where oil is fed to the bearings, somehow, through the rocker arm into the lifter or design a pump in the lifter itself using the action of the cam lobe.

·
Premium Member
13,105 Posts
hmm, interesting. Still I wonder why someone doesn't design a system where oil is fed to the bearings, somehow, through the rocker arm into the lifter or design a pump in the lifter itself using the action of the cam lobe.
=
Say what :confused:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts