Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys with the price of gas now days
it still seams that my car witch is a mild BB uses lots of gas.Spent a good buck this last weakend on a very nice trip.Am i aloan or is your SB Or BB hard on gas.Now i no that 373s for gearing does not help buy gees sure glad that i do not do alot of traveling.So just curious lets here about it.

------------------
http:/hometown.aol.com/ddppell/myhomepage/profile.html
Don Pell 66 396 Beaumont.
Once bitten twice shy.
Don Pell 66 396Beaumont.
Once bitten twice shy

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
It just cost me $40 to drive from Home-town to college-town.

I don't drive to much now that I'm here, but this Chevellebration trip is going to require so budgeting skills

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Well Don, mine is great on gas

Last Friday it was $30 plus octane boost on the way to cruise night and another $20 and boost coming back from the boat cruise.

Let's see, all together that's about $60 for a weekend of about 100 miles. Ignoring the boost, that works out to about 7 MPG.

Don't you love it?????

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
On my trip home, filled up after ~320km with a hair over ¼ tank showing. But that is with 3.07 gears...rough numbers is about $47, 52L @ 89¢/L. This = ~14¼ MPG. A bit better than the trip down, likely thanks to Greg's timing adjustments - I think I have room to improve though.

------------------
'69 SS 300 Deluxe / '71 Malibu 2DR HT
"Never let fear and good judgement hold you back."

·
Registered
447 Posts
Are you serious?

The guy at the gas station asked me to shut the engine off when he was filling my tank cuse he couldn't KEEP UP!

Mark

------------------

<A HREF="http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/Mark50265ss-7" TARGET=_blank>65 MalibuZZ502/200R4/9inch
</A> 1 2 3 4
The 502
1 2 3
72SS/402/T400
97 Chevy Tahoe/Whipple Supercharged

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I am right with zz69. My '68 is sitting in the garage right now, so it is costing me nothing on gas (not sure this is a good thing, rather have it on the road and pay for gas.)
But once the 509 goes in, I am sure that I will be in the neighborhood of 8-10 mpg, but I will not even calculate it because I do not care!

I have my little '98 Chrysler Sebring convertible that gets me to work every day for about $15 or so a week!

G

·
I don't know if your going to belive this... but I just picked up a 69 convertible from West Virgina and in the mountains I got 20 and that was goofing around with the accelerator... on the freeway coming back to Wi. it hit a little under 30... 28 or 29 With a 302 and a four barrel... maybe I got one of those miracle carbs,,,,
Cliff

·
Registered
982 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZZ69chevelle:
If I wanted economy, I'd restore a Honda. On the bright side, my fuel injected, 3.42 rear geared 93 Z28 gets 26 MPG
I'm not going to even bother figuring out the Chevelle. I just write that off as an entertainment expense

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everything there, just exchange that F-body for 95' Formula with 2.73 gear

------------------
"Put the strength to the test"

**Dave Armstrong**
'67 Chevelle 396/Th400/4.10
12.45 @ 107 mph. 1.74 60ft

'95 Firebird Formula LT1(2FST4LOV)
14.0 @ 97mph daily driver
The Burnout
The Launch
The MAN!!!(the guy in the black shirt)

[This message has been edited by Big Block Dave (edited 05-25-2001).]

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ya, thats it, "Entertainment Expense"!!!!

I don't even dare calculate mine out, and besides........does it mean it would change anything for me, no cause I still want to go faster!!

But, I do know better to have trailered down to Kingston last weekend than to have driven it, lol.

-Greg

------------------
69ht383>Smokumchevy
TC member#610

"Men are from earth. Women are from earth. Deal with it"
"Junk is something you throw away three weeks before you need it"

<A HREF="http://www.cartogra.com/rs/6E3E9082-2AF2-11D5-B429-0090277A760E" TARGET=_blank>My Pic Show
</A>
New Pic

ChevyWorld.net

·
Premium Member
28,597 Posts
I don't even want to know what I spend in gas...my daily driver has a 350 Olds in it,I have a 350 powered 68 Cutlass convertible,and last,but not least,2 big block 1970 Chevelles!(1 w/3.73's,the other 4.10's) When it comes time to put gas in 'em,I think of that Nike commercial..."Just Do it"
Sure,gas isn't cheap,but it isn't going to make me drive any less or stop me from enjoying my cars.I quit smoking cigarettes 2 years ago,so I guess that's where my extra money goes now,GAS!!

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M21/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Before I started this project, I knew gas was going to be a problem. I made a promise to myself that if I built the car, I would never complain about keeping gas in it and I would not worry about it. If gas goes to 10 dollars a gallon, I will buy two gallons and drive 7 miles and turn around. But, they are gonna be some exciting miles!

------------------

69 Chevelle
454 .030 10.5:1
373 posi
M21 4spd.
Nothin But Fun

"Fire all your guns at once and
Explode into space."
Steppenwolf "Born to be Wild"

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
"Old Reliable" gets 17 and a half miles per gallon in traffic and around 22 to 23 miles on the highway. This with a 350 9.1 compression, Holley four barrel, TH350 and a 2.56 rear (rear never rebuilt in 551,000+ miles!).

------------------
MalibuJerry350
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
551,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Premium Member
16,949 Posts
And Framer tells me that, although his timing moved from the 12 degrees I set it at, he fecthed like 18mpg on the out to Don's. Of course, he cant EVEr leave well enough alone and dialed it back and got 15 mpg home.

The timing needed to be dialed back, but how can ANYONE claim that a vaccum advnace is useless or not wanted. WHAT? I told Chuck we should dial up another 8 or so degrees in the can.

18mpg from a stock 396SS 4 sp 3.55 car is EXCELLENT.

( And I thought my tripower was better. Sheesh, so far its worst. I CANT STOP MYSELF FROM HEARING ALL THOSE OPEN THROATS!)

Aw screw it!

------------------
Gene Chaas
Gold Member 62/ACES 3112
67 SS 427
"Be big. Be a builder."

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm a road crusier, miles per tankfull is what I look at. 19 gal. tank - I want to drive at least 350 mile, or 5-6 hrs. I may have a bit of creative tunning to do to get there, but it's my benchmark. Had a 350/202heads/RV cam that did it, should be able to do it with this 350/ported194/262 cam.

I'll let ya know

------------------
71-72 Malibu
Drove'em in the Dirt when I was younger
Now I don't drive on Dirt

·
Registered
222 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cliff:
I don't know if your going to belive this... but I just picked up a 69 convertible from West Virgina and in the mountains I got 20 and that was goofing around with the accelerator... on the freeway coming back to Wi. it hit a little under 30... 28 or 29 With a 302 and a four barrel... maybe I got one of those miracle carbs,,,,
Cliff
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cliff, are you sure you don't have those cool little 14" wire wheels on your car? You know that'd make the mileage click off a lot faster
Just kidding ya, that sure sounds nice!

Are you serious?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mark:
The guy at the gas station asked me to shut the engine off when he was filling my tank cuse he couldn't KEEP UP!

Mark
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mark, every once in a while someone on here says something that makes me smile the rest of the day, and you just did it for sure! I'm in the library reading the posts and I still can't stop laughing out loud!

------------------
70 Impala Sport Coupe (350)
66 Chevelle (I wish, still looking)
http://www.geocities.com/ledsled_26m

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.