Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what type and guage wire would be good for trunk mounted batteries to the starter? would this size also be good for the ground? i understand that welding wire is good for these apps. because they have a lot of seperate strands and don't cause as much voltage drop.
also can someone tell what amp. fuseable link should be used on the connector from the + batt. to the electric junction block on the radiator support. thanks john

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
This is just my opinion. There are two sizes of cable typically used for welding. #1 is the heavy lead about 5/8” diameter and #2 is the smaller about 7/16” diameter “stinger lead”. The #2 will probably work fine #1 would be better. What’s just as important as the size is how the connection is made. A ring lug with a tight crimp connection, using a crimping tool, (good) or a soldered connection (better). I would use a #8 with a # 12 fusible link from the starter to the horn relay, or the J block if you have factory gauge option. All accessories or add-ons i.e. electric fans, electric fuel pump etc. should be connected to the horn relay. If you upgrade to a high amp alternator you should the output wire should be upgraded to a #8 wire and connect it to the horn relay.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts