Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at sending unit tan wire, has small section striped with a striped ground wire end spun around the sender bare wire section. Gas gauge reads E, pulled the wire apart, gauge moved to past F (good gauge). Is the ground wire setup right?
And how do you get the tan wire connector off of the sending unit? I tried everything then just broke it at the bare section. New sender on the way from Ground Up 3/8"

------------------
Sammy B

66 Malibu

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Sammy, I believe the ground wire should go from the sending unit body to one of the trunk supports that support the gas tank. You'll see the hole that the screw went into. The end of the ground wire should have a round hole type connector (ring terminal). The tan wire should not have the ground connected to it. The connector on the sending unit for the tan wire can be really hard to get off after all this time. The rubber hardens and the connector corrodes. Since you ordered a new sending unit, why not go ahead and order a new fuel tank sender harness (tan wire) (about $18.00 from GU). You can splice the new wire into the tail light harness in the trunk where it won't be seen and won't be as corrosion prone.

------------------
Tom Wood
Gold Member #66
502 Powered '66 SS

Some pictures of my '66 under construction;
http://home.attbi.com/~tkmwood55/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom, Great information, really appreciated. I did go an order the harness and a new gas cap. Now I will have a totally new fuel system, I will have a new tank, sender and complete fuel line. Hope I can find a build sheet when I pull that tank off. I read also where I could use roofing felt for the tank to body buffer or whatever you want to call it.

Thanks again!!

------------------
Sammy B

66 Malibu

·
Premium Member
1,133 Posts
Sammy, I'm sure you could use the roofing tar paper as the squeak insulators. I replaced my insulators with the aftermarket stuff, and it sure did look like the roofing material.

------------------
Tom Wood
Gold Member #66
502 Powered '66 SS

Some pictures of my '66 under construction;
http://home.attbi.com/~tkmwood55/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts