Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm ready to Hot Dip Galvanize my frame. I figured, while I'm at it, I'll throw in some other parts and still be under the minimum. Besides the parts pictured, I'm wondering if brake spindles could or should be done as well. I know the rear springs are in the picture. Can springs be HDG? What do you guys think? Good or Bad idea? Thanks for your input. I'm not sure if I know hpow to insert a picture, I'll try though. :confused: There I got it! :hurray:
Bob

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2904956610100380351SMUCPv

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hey Bob, I'm not sure about the HDG springs but they do Chrome bike springs. I know chroming does not get real hot though. What temperture is the DHG when molten ? I'm thinking of having my frame HDG as well, whats this costing in your area ?

Thanks Tony

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
i was the first person to do this, and bring my info to this site years ago. i quit posting in this section because not only have i been busy and running the wagon forum, but i was sick of all the arguing. having said that, i peeked back into this forum today and couldnt help my self. i want to offer you some help. i have a lot of info on my personal web site. but i will address some of your questions. the objects in you photo are fine, you will need to drill a 1/2" hole at each end of your trans crossmember to allow air and zinc to flow in and out as it is dipped. do not do not do your spindles or a-arm shafts. you do not want to get anything on your bearing shaft surface of the spindles, they will be trash if you do, the a-arm shafts have threads you will not want to have to retap those big criticle threads. also remember you will need to go back thur and retap all threaded holes like for your swaybar mount and fuel and brake line mounts in your frame. the springs and sway bar are made of spring steel, they will not be altered by the temperature of hot dipping, it would require greater heat to do that, so you will be fine doing those. remeber to remove every piece of hardware and rubber..., you may need to file the inner surfaces when you get it back where your ball joints get pressed in if it is too tight, no biggie though. personally befor you take any of this, you should do some welding on your frame and control arms, boxing your front and read lower arms and doing all the frame reinforcments i have layed out on my site would be really great to do especiallly at the point you are at. also i have info on you to prime and paint the stuff after galvanizing. i didnt see your radiator support or bumper brackets, those are good items, and the rad support has a void along the bottom that you cant get to to paint, so galvanizing is great protection there.
ok, see ya
pete

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Bob, I'm not sure about the HDG springs but they do Chrome bike springs. I know chroming does not get real hot though. What temperture is the DHG when molten ? I'm thinking of having my frame HDG as well, whats this costing in your area ?

Thanks Tony
Not sure about the temperature, My cost will be the minimum $250.00

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was the first person to do this, and bring my info to this site years ago. i quit posting in this section because not only have i been busy and running the wagon forum, but i was sick of all the arguing. having said that, i peeked back into this forum today and couldnt help my self. i want to offer you some help. i have a lot of info on my personal web site. but i will address some of your questions. the objects in you photo are fine, you will need to drill a 1/2" hole at each end of your trans crossmember to allow air and zinc to flow in and out as it is dipped. do not do not do your spindles or a-arm shafts. you do not want to get anything on your bearing shaft surface of the spindles, they will be trash if you do, the a-arm shafts have threads you will not want to have to retap those big criticle threads. also remember you will need to go back thur and retap all threaded holes like for your swaybar mount and fuel and brake line mounts in your frame. the springs and sway bar are made of spring steel, they will not be altered by the temperature of hot dipping, it would require greater heat to do that, so you will be fine doing those. remeber to remove every piece of hardware and rubber..., you may need to file the inner surfaces when you get it back where your ball joints get pressed in if it is too tight, no biggie though. personally befor you take any of this, you should do some welding on your frame and control arms, boxing your front and read lower arms and doing all the frame reinforcments i have layed out on my site would be really great to do especiallly at the point you are at. also i have info on you to prime and paint the stuff after galvanizing. i didnt see your radiator support or bumper brackets, those are good items, and the rad support has a void along the bottom that you cant get to to paint, so galvanizing is great protection there.
ok, see ya
pete
Pete, Thanks so much for your valuable input. It's much appreciated and answered many questions I had in my mind. I'll be visiting your sight to study up before I HDG. Thanks again. Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts