Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1970 SS. In the engine compartment I have a ground cable that connects the front passengers side of the engine block to the frame at the idler arm. I cant seem to find this in the assembly manual. I have recently installed a new wiring harness and battery cables. The negative cable has a wire that splits off and attaches to the fender. The other part of the cable goes to the alternator bracket. It seems the cable going from the block to the frame is a little redundant. Any comments?? Im looking for originality.

------------------
Kevin Barry
1970 Chevelle SS 396
Green Mist/Dark Green Top

·
Registered
714 Posts
My buddy has a matching numbers 70 L34 car that has the ground strap also. He has the motor out of the car now to paint and clean up engine compartment and he made a point to show me the ground strap. I can't say for sure it is original as the motor was out once with the previous owner for rebuild, but it does seem to me to be more than coincidental and I suspect it is. When I get mine out of storage in the next 2-3 weeks, I am going to check mine for that strap also. Maybe someone else can be more definitive

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Kenin and Bob, I too would be interested in hearing more. I have yet to EVER remove ground straps off a '70 engine nor have I seen any on the three survivor cars I recently documented. As a matter of fact, I have seen no ground straps on any BB '70 other than the battery cable pigtail and frame to firewall. My assembly manual corrulates with that also. What is correct?

------------------
"Details Make the Difference"
Musclecar Restoration and Design

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
I'll add to Ricks post - my car also a survivor - no ground strap. Only ground is from the battery cable to the fender. This doesn't of course mean some plants may have done it. I haven't seen it on other 70's I have observed. Would be interesting to hear what Bill T would tell us his 70 has - I believe he purchased his new.

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Member # 442
www.chevelles.com/showroom/richr1

http://www.my70ss.com

[This message has been edited by richr (edited 04-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My 70 SS El Camino has a copper braided ground strap from the firewall to the rear valve cover bolt on the driver side. I also have this metal piece that looks like a Y attached to the top of the firewall. It's bent over and touches the hood when the hood closes. Must be some kind of ground also. My car was built in Kansas.

------------------
Keith
70 El Camino SS L78 396
Currently: 496ci, roller cam, aluminum heads, Richmond 5 speed
Coming soon: multi-point fuel injection, Electromotive TECII engine management system

·
Registered
964 Posts
Keith
That bent over Y on top of your firewall is meant to ground your hood so to help with radio reception.It was usually added by a service technician if the customer complained of excesive interference.Mostly cars with the Stereo radios got these the most.
I too have never seen this ground wire by the Idler arm.But different factorys at different intervals could have done different things.Just like the Negative Battery ground cable.Some are grounded at the Alternator bracket,while others are grounded to the front passenger side of the engine block.

------------------
Rick Peters
NCOA#1670-ACES#175
1970...ON THE MOVE

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is interesting. I recently removed my engine for detailing and upon re-installation decided to put the ground straps that I assumed were missing back on. I found it odd that the hole in the frame that the lower ground strap connects too had never had a screw attached to it. Maybe it was never there to begin with.

Jody

------------------
70 Chevelle SS
454/400T.H.
Black/White Stripes
My 1970 SS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.