Chevelles.com banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
I can speak from personal experience that these early spot welded tags do fall off. That one looks like it was pried off rather than just coming loose. We had a 64 Belair wagon the tag fell off of.

·
Administrator
16,160 Posts
I would just get a reproduction one stamped with the correct vin and put it on. I'd disclose it if i was to sell the car.

Some states let you go through the state police and get a replacement vin tag put on, but it will be generic, not original style.

So it's at least possible the aluminum corroded after 50 years outside and the tag came off, but not likely.
Tried that with my 64 SS. State confiscated the reproduction VIN and issued a state VIN. I was not happy losing the 138 VIN.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,037 Posts
I can speak from personal experience that these early spot welded tags do fall off. That one looks like it was pried off rather than just coming loose. We had a 64 Belair wagon the tag fell off of.
Did the welded on tags have those pop rivet holes in them?

·
Administrator
16,160 Posts
Just how did the state find out ? no need to tell them
Car was purchased in Canada and had to have an inspection to title in Arizona. They actually impounded it and when I got it back they informed me of the history of the car per RCMP. It had been stolen twice and recovered, the VIN had been removed during the 2nd theft. Car was restored after that and a new VIN tag installed. The frame VIN matched the replaced body VIN but I was not allowed to keep the tag as it was not original to the car. The whole ordeal made me angry and I sold the car shortly afterwards.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Me too..... Must not have been to bad or he would have been banned....

·
Registered
619 Posts
Let me restate my original question as to not offend anyone. If a person were to have a trim tag and vin plate off of an old car, what do you guys suggest is the best way to dispose of it? Would you turn it into your local state police barracks, or cut it up into little pieces and throw in a land fill?

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
The trim tag is ok and legal to own. The vin tag is not. I would cut it up

21 - 31 of 31 Posts