Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted a question regarding the value of a '72 SS with a 350 engine. Let me ask your opinion on the entire car: the asking price is $13K - is it worth it? Here's the details:
- convertible with new top and interior
- matching #s
- build sheet
- 2 owner car - 68000 mi
- new interior; buckets and console
- factory 4 speed
- painted 2 weeks ago - body stripped to bare metal, all trim removed prior to paint
- new bumpers
- rebuilt transmission
- 350 cu in engine.

It bothers me that this SS has only a 350 cu in engine - will there be a performance problem? Is the car worth less because of the small block? Car is completely original including the 350 engine. Am I being paranoid here?

·
Registered
84 Posts
sounds about right actually, if it's all that. The convertable is sought after. A properly built 350 is a strong performer with the right stall converter and rear gears.

------------------
members.tripod.com/dfdolerjr

·
Registered
149 Posts
There's a nice one around here for 8000 and I haven't bought it, so 13000 is outrageous. On second thought this one has a big block for 8000. What word is stronger than outrageous?

------------------
Mike
formerly known as gotapileof70Malibu (so add 80 to my number of posts)
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Couple of things to think about...1)where do you live? East Coast prices seem MUCH higher than other areas. 2)This is a documented car (build sheet, etc), you know it's not a fake 3)it sounds like it's been taken care of, and that demands somewhat of a premium 4)it IS a convertable <g>, and last but not least 5) do YOU think it's worth it? The value of the car will not go down unless somehthing bad happens. You may find something cheaper out there, but in that condition? Let us know what u decide.

------------------
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Berry -

The price sounds about ballpark, maybe a little on the high side. Pluses are original documentation, low original mileage, and the 4-speed. I'm always suspect of the quality of a paintjob when its done just to sell a car. Do they have pix of the car when it was down to bare metal?

If you buy it, you won't get a bargain, but you won't necessarily get burned, either. I've seen several 71-72's in the $8K-$12K range for sale here in the northwest.

One other thought - a two-owner car with 68K and it needed a new interior and a tranny rebuild? This may give some indication of how well it was maintained.

------------------
Rainer - Team Chevelle Gold #50
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

·
Registered
313 Posts
If memory serves me, the odometer on the older cars doesn't show a digit for 100,000, so your 68,000 mile car might well be 168,000. I'd look for maintenance records where the mileage and date of service seem to match up with the claimed mileage. If there are none to see, then with the extent of repairs you mentioned, I would challenge the 68K claim. I would still get the car, just make sure the guy knows you doubt the mileage, maybe he will knock down the price some.
John Walker

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.