Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a 70 expert, but didn't the SS come standard with front disc brakes. I can see where it might not have had power brakes, but this car appears to have a drum brake master cyl. The 10 bolt, and powerglide adds more suspicion. As original as the engine compartment looks, I can see that the fan shroud is not correct for a BB also. Can you guys find more stuff that would disprove the SS claim on this car ? Shouldn't the grille be black ?
Nate

eBay Item #591773379

1970 Chevrolet : Chevelle SS
1970 Chevelle SS Take a Look!

[This message has been edited by SS3964N8 (edited 05-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by SS3964N8 (edited 05-27-2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
I seriously doubt the car is a factory SS. All 70 ss cars came with the big block, only automatic was the th400, all rears were 12 bolts, all had disk brakes. Other biggie that jumped out was the radiator cover only held down with 3 bolts, which would be for a 6 cylinder or smallblock without A/C. BB rad supports used a cover with 4 bolts. Of course it could of been a stripped and rebuild SS with misc parts, but I kinda doubt it. Im not gonna study the pics and get more detailed because it is pretty obvious that the car isnt an SS. Still could be a nice car if the price is right, but not an SS.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Unless someone swapped out the dash, the instrument panel is a dead giveaway. The SS models will have round guages. Non SS Malibus will have a sweep style speedometer, unless it was something special like a Malibu 400 that could be special ordered with a guage package. But if you see round guages with a woodgrain finish, that means someone installed a dash out of a Monte Carlo.

I can't remember exactly what it is, but there's also something you can check on the steering shaft where it bolts to the steering gearbox under the hood to see if it's made for a car with a big block.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.