Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a question about these two particular cars. One Chevelle has a little lever next to the air vent that you can see in the picture (white Interior), the other (blue interior) doesn't. My El Camino ('70) has factory air without the little lever, but all the cars without air don't have them either... Any help?

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
I think its called a lap vent.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry I wasn't more descriptive. The little lever is directly next to the vent right under the headlight switch.

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
I think, and could be wrong, the lever is to allow cooled air to enter the vent system on A/C cars. It's possible the factory goofed and didn't install the correct vent controls or someone replaced them for some reason long ago with the wrong ones.

I wouldn't think it'd be an 'option' in and of itself but would have been part of the A/C package.

·
Premium Member
8,636 Posts
My 70 El Camino that I ordered has the SHUT OFF leavers on the three top A/C outlets. The lap cooler outlets, You just rotate 90 degrees to shut off. Mine is an SS 454 with the 13680 body. All 13680 bodys had Chrome style rotating lap coolers.
BOTH side square vents should have shut off leavers. As someone stated, It could have been replaced. My 71 Nomad wagon has Fac. A/C and no shut off leavers on the Square outlets. No positive about 71s BUT I think 71s on any model did not have shut off leavers on any of the top three outlets. Also FACT: A 71 Stand alone A/C wiring harness will not work in a 70. 71s have relays under the glove box for Anti Dieseling.
My Camino had a birthday 2nd week of march this year. I have been playing with mine for 38 years and 3 months.
Looken to see some T-Chevelle folks in Goodlettsville this year, Keep on Truckin !
Bob:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
My 70 still has the factory gage dash with A/C and it has them. May car was nicely optioned Malibu so maybe they didn't come on the lower optioned 300 deluxe velles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts