Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I understand how to decode

I bought the car thinking it was a 13667 car should have the dealership disclosed this difference

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Re: I understand how to decode

I bought the car thinking it was a 13667 car should have the dealership disclosed this difference
Mmmm…you're saying what you hoped the car to be but not what it actually is… :confused:

Claude.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts

Mmmm…you're saying what you hoped the car to be but not what it actually is… :confused:

Claude.
Hey Claude, he said the VIN is off by one number on the trim tag as opposed to the tittle. It seems someone at the DMV fat fingered the VIN

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: Is this a problem

Not necessarily...the 135 means it was a 6 cylinder car. The trim tag is for use by the Fisher body guys, they would not be concerned if it is a 6 or v8.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts

My '65 Nova has a 6-cyl VIN and a v8 body tag. I know for sure that this car has not been altered. Pretty common for 6 cyl Novas from the same era to have V8 body tags, so I'd guess Chevelles were the same.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts

No offense to the OP....but why do people ask these questions AFTER they buy the car?

Reactions: davewho1

·
Premium Member
14,047 Posts

according to another post, you bought a Malibu 6 cylinder Convertible. Why did you find it necessary to make 4 posts??

·
Administrator
17,083 Posts

I merged his 2 threads as there's some confusion as to what he's seeing.

The trim tag is what the Fisher body plant built the body to and the VIN is what the final assembly plant assembled which includes the Fisher body.
The Fisher plant doesn't know the final build when it tags a body.

have a read:
Trim Tag Facts

·
Registered
4,131 Posts

Hey Claude, he said the VIN is off by one number on the trim tag as opposed to the tittle. It seems someone at the DMV fat fingered the VIN
Steve, if you look closely to my previous post in which I quoted what "Nitetrain65" was asking about, you'll notice that he has since edited his post. It wasn't that clear at the time I replied. :noway:

Claude. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
It really shouldn't have any effect on the value of your car unless you paid a premium for an original V8 car with a special drivetrain (like a high performance 327). As it stands now you have a rare Malibu 6-cylinder convertible, of which Chevrolet built something like 1390 units. Functionally it is just the same regardless of 135 vs 136-series. Perhaps the frame stands for the motor mounts would have been different.

V.I.N. is what you need to go by. Trim tags on U.S. cars would lead you to believe that it was an 8-cylinder car, but as was stated by others, Fisher Body tagged the trim tag before Chevrolet got a hold of it and began assembly as a 6 or 8-cylinder car. In Canada it was a different story as the trim tags were accurate as to the specific model and also included RPO codes for factory accessories, at least the ones that Fisher Body had to accommodate on their end.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Though it looks very similar to the first five digits of the VIN, the body style code on the Fisher Body cowl/trim tag did not have the same meaning. Fisher Body didn't need the type of engine coded on the cowl tag, and so stamped the 3rd digit of the Fisher style code with a different meaning than the 3rd digit of the VIN.

The 3rd digit of the VIN identifies which engine (L6 or V8) the car had from the factory. A VIN engine digit of 3, 5 or 7 indicates a L6 engine, while a VIN engine digit of 4, 6 or 8 indicates a V8 engine.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Though it looks very similar to the first five digits of the VIN, the body style code on the Fisher Body cowl/trim tag did not have the same meaning. Fisher Body didn't need the type of engine coded on the cowl tag, and so stamped the 3rd digit of the Fisher style code with a different meaning than the 3rd digit of the VIN.

The 3rd digit of the VIN identifies which engine (L6 or V8) the car had from the factory. A VIN engine digit of 3, 5 or 7 indicates a L6 engine, while a VIN engine digit of 4, 6 or 8 indicates a V8 engine.
Is it safe to say, odd 3rd digit = odd number of cylinder heads (1), even = even number of heads (2). What did the 4cyl novas and v6 skylarks/specials use?

·
Gold Founding Member
64,089 Posts

according to another post, you bought a Malibu 6 cylinder Convertible. Why did you find it necessary to make 4 posts??
Posting the same thing in more than one thread winds up making people wonder "why did so and so post that reply when I had already answered it?"

When the threads get merged, all the replies from all the threads are placed in chronological order in one thread.

·
Premium Member
19,967 Posts
In 1967 only Fremont and Oshawa coded the trim tag style number that matched the VIN, e.g. a 13567 VIN would show 13567 on the trim tag. In fact, Fremont and Oshawa always did, Framingham did in 1969 and most plants from 1970 on did. All other plants/years coded trim tags with an even 3rd digit (2nd digit in 64).

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Six passenger car and truck assembly plants previously operated by Fisher Body and Chevrolet Motor Division are transferred to the management of GM Assembly Division.

On location of VIN stamping:

Front cylinder boss – Chevrolet Plants
Oil Filter Boss – GMAD Plants

·
Premium Member
19,967 Posts
Six passenger car and truck assembly plants previously operated by Fisher Body and Chevrolet Motor Division are transferred to the management of GM Assembly Division.

On location of VIN stamping:

Front cylinder boss – Chevrolet Plants
Oil Filter Boss – GMAD Plants
So Kansas City and Atlanta were GMAD plants in 1969 but Chevrolet plants in all the other years? I guess Flint and Van Nuys couldn't make up their mind in 1970, I've seen partial VIN stamps in both locations in 1970.

Confused here...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts