Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this for sale and am interested:

67 El Camino
396 rebuilt stock (owner says its either the 350 or 375hp version but i will have to check the numbers myself, its a 67 block)
Rebuilt 4spd
posi 3.08 gears, owner thinks its a 10bolt but might be 12
4 way power drums, redone
power stearing
new black paint (needs final sanding or whatever you do to it)
new black interior, buckets
new 4 core radiator
new alternator
Flowmasters
Hurst shifter
Factory AC, needs pump
$6500
So what do you guys think. I will have to sell my malibu to get this but i really want a big block/ 4spd combo.
Thanks

------------------
Jon, 66 Malibu Sport Coupe
Fremont CA, Birthplace of many a Chevelle
Team Chevelle Member #80
members.tripod.com/jon66bu/jon1.html

·
Registered
740 Posts
Well to definatly know if its a 12 bolt is look @ the back and count the bolts (its a circular thing in the middle underneat the car normally the mufflers are inbetween.

If it has 12 bolts its a 12 bolt and 10 if its 10.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have only talked to the owner and he said he didnt know which it was, i havent seen the car yet but would like to see it ASAP.

------------------
Team Chevelle Member #80

·
Registered
335 Posts
Take note that a grainy, dull coat of paint can hide many defects. Redoing body work is expensive and there aren't many shops these days that will even mess with it at any price. Big question mark there. The mechanicals are much easier to check out. It either is or isn't solid and what you're looking for in this regard. To me the price sounds wery reasonable if the body is straight and not full of bondo. tom

·
Registered
138 Posts
One other thing, on the A/C system, if the compressor is shot, you will probably need to buy a new expansion valve, receiver/dryer and have the whole system flushed, evacuated and charged. Will probably be close to $1000 unless you can do yourself.

------------------

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with tom3. The "not finished paint" should make you careful. Don't be like me and get stars in your eyes and miss some major problems. Check the body out GOOD. Crawl underneath and REALLY look. Mechanicals can be added/fixed but poor body work is a bitch and much more expensive. I just finished replacing both full qtrs including wells on a 66 SS396 hrdtp that was supposed to be a rust free MO. car.
What kind of paint needs to be sanded? If its laquer-ok. If its anything else it will probably require repainting. Most of the new 2-parts have a window of oportunity to sand/buff but after that they harden up and its too late. Look in the wheel wells and in the hidden compartment for signs of trouble.
Also check out the floors and where the wheelwell and the qtrs meet. Run your hand along the wheel well lip. If it is not smooth it's probably bondo not mud. If the body checks out it's an even deal.

------------------
2 piece 66 SS396
'72 C20 4x4
Gold #75

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Man if you want a Big block combo soo bad why don't you take the $ you would have had to put into the Elky and get you a newer 454 from a wrecked truck with all the accesories attached (ez to work on with a serpentine belt) and just deal with the automatic tranny (the big block will make a major difference) at least until you can find a good deal on a 4spd.

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle5.jpg John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
57 Posts
How much for your car...I may be interested....

·
Registered
70 Posts
I dunno,
While the car sounds nice, $6500 seems like a bit much for a 396 with 3.08's, drum brakes and questionable paint. I would be guessing the value of that car to be in the $4500-5000 range at most. But I'm guessing, I haven't seen the car.

------------------
Ted Stojkovski
(formerly Skunkynuggets)
(so add about 300+ posts)
Syracuse NY
Team Chevelle #172

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
amhpd17, i havent decided to sell my car or not yet, this is the first possible replacement for it that i have found, Everything about it is at http://members.tripod.com/jon66bu/jon1.html I have put a lot into the car ($9000 including purchase) and have over $5000 more in receipts from the previous owner so i dont know what i should sell it for.

John, I would put a big block in my car but i dont have the money, so the way to get a BB car is to sell my car and buy on with one. I wish i could afford it, i love 66 Chevelles.

Ted, i was thinking the same thing about the paint and engine/rear end combo, i was thinking i would offer $5500 or $5000 if the paint was OK.

Thanks for all the input.

------------------
Team Chevelle Member #80

·
Registered
162 Posts
Jon, Correct me if I'm wrong here, I've inferred the following from your posts. Your going off to college real soon. Your 66 chevelle or whatever you replace it with will be your only car. Your present 66 is darn nice, and you know it can be counted on. How reliable do you think this elky will be? I'm talking about brakes, suspension, etc... Sure it can be fixed, but that's more time and money. At college, you'll want to be able to take dates to the movies, go home for the holidays, etc... without worrying about the car. If it were me I'd look long and hard before making a switch. Good luck. --- Carl

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Carl, i think your right, i think i will keep my car and while i dont have the money to work on it now, i will eventually. However, i am not taking the 66 or any other car to college with me for at least this first year so that wasnt much of a concern to me, but in the future i will need to drive something so i think the 66 seems like the best choice now that i have gone through and reminded myself of all the good work that has been done to make it the daily driver it is.

------------------
Team Chevelle Member #80

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.