Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first i have a 70 chevelle the wires coming out of the voltage regulator one wire is broken off at the black inch long rubber thing is that a fuseable link? what do i ask for at the auto parts store to fix it??? i can take a picture and e mail it to you if that will help. thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Hard to say what the auto parts stores stock these days. It is a common item if you ask for it by gage size. Maybe find it in the "Help" section. They aren't very expensive.
I have a used one if you can't find one anywhere. Can drop it in an envelope and mail it off during the week.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Offer it still open if you come up hurting. These are "junk" on late 70s and early 80s harnesses.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Fusable links should be 2 wire sizes smaller than the wire they protect. Each wire size is 2. Therefore to protect a 10ga wire you would use a 14ga fusable link. 14ga wire is protected by 18ga fusable link etc.
Mark

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by storm:
john the auto parts said they carry them you said these are junk should i replace all of the ones i come across?? storm
Only if they are burnt open. A "link" is nothing more than a piece of wire. Your broken link has a small, maybe 5 inch piece of soft wire on it. That's the actual link. These can be pulled out of late model Cutlasses and Camaros all day long.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
went to auto parts store todaY For the fuseable link now they have 2 sizes 12 gauge and 14 gauge 12 gauge both ends 14 gauge both ends where mine was 12 gauge one side i beleive the other side is 14 gauge coming out now what size do i buy from the auto parts store?? they dont have the 12 /14 combo no more thanks storm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts