Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,595 Posts
Either get a posi carrier that matches your current gear ratio (2 series or 3 series) or a Power Trax locker.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M20/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've got a 12 bolt from a Nova in my 55 and when I bought it, I opened it up hopeing for a posi and a good gear, the gear was a 5.38 and a non posi. oh well, bought it anyway.
Non posi, spiders not welded, no tire squeel around corners and no clutches inside, just a regular carrier, but it was tight and had quite a few shims in it,
put it in and built the motor, went on the Maiden Voyage and low and behold, 110 feet of posi rubber, partly due to the 5.38 and part motor, BUT, Posi?
I was dumbfounded, from an open carrier. opened it up again and sure enough it was just an open carrier. I,ve asked around but all I hear is if you shim them tight enough then it will act like a posi unit,
I still dont understand, I will change the gear soon but the carrier does a heck of a job

·
Registered
203 Posts
Sounds like welded carrier. Old trick to make a poor man's spool. You said the ratio was 5.xx:1 which makes me believe that's exactly what was done.

Look for welds around the spiders.

RLK

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
You can put a Eaton posi in your rear end with the gears you have. All you have to do is swap out the differential.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 Pro Street
427 4 speed 9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drivetrain Parts & Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

[This message has been edited by big gear head (edited 12-08-2001).]

·
Registered
42 Posts
actually thats probably not welded.
crash up derby guys put more shims in rearend makes em grab posi.
welded rearends in derby's are illegal

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
5.38's
I would be turning 7000 grand at the end of my driveway
...New Eaton 3 series posi installed monday....can you say"on the road again"

------------------
Bob West
1972 Malibu 454+.030
TH350-3.73's
1.79 60 ft.