Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I was finishing the last steps of reassembling my engine (396). While reconnecting the fuel lines to the carb the threads of the fitting that retains the filter stripped out. Is there any hope of saving this carb???? If so how???

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Tom, the threads can't be chased, they're that bad? Two options then 1.) the fugly one. I did this on a 1972 Newport Royale I drove in the Army. Ever hear of JB Weld? Yeah, I know it's ugly. The Chrysler had a fitting that the feed line then screwed into. 2.) I've got a Q sitting on my shelf I'll probably never use. I have a whopping $65 into it. It's the correct # for a 68 396 among other apps, including '70 Caddy which is what it came from. The choke linkage is different. You can email today and I'll get it out ASAP.
BTW, it's a fresh Holley rebuild.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 07-23-99).]

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
At one time (when qjets were in production) this was a common problem and the auto parts stores had an oversize fitting to correct this situation. Maybe a visit to an older parts store could get one for you.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I bought a qjet at a swap meet that had this problem. To fix it someone found an expandable rubber fitting. As you tightened the nut the rubber expanded to fill any gaps. With this setup you don't need any threads, it's an interference fit. Dont' know where to buy one of these today, but I recall years ago they were avialable in parts stores.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

·
Super Moderator
12,782 Posts
Tom,
Just purchased a repair fitting last week at the local parts emporium. It is a self tapping deal that works pretty good. All the parts stores in this area have them.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
283 Posts
It sure does Gene. I've fixed many striped threads with J/B weld, and it doesn't look too great. My sis was with me on the computer, and asked "what's J/B weld??", I replied, "a cheap ass fix when you're too lazy to do anything else"!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.