Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 1970 Malibu and plan to do more of a restomod on it. If I take original parts off the vehicle is there a market for these for people who are working on real restoration projects?

Example - I am missing the passenger side windshield trim. I bought the 3 piece set from an aftermarket parts supplier so I have original trim for the top of the windshield and the driver side. Is there a demand for this kind of thing? If I could re-coup a couple of dollars here and there and help someone out it seems better than just throwing it away.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
hold on to the stuff, there is always a market. You will see on here guys will need parts, and those who have extras or left overs usually sell them or give them to other members.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,707 Posts
Yes definitely a market for those types of parts, especially parts like that which are common to the SS optioned cars and those which fit multiple years. Such as your windshield trim, which fits '68-'72. Advertise your parts in the free classifieds section of TC.

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,411 Posts
Many times this reproduction stuff is not as good as original. You may want to hold on to this stuff till you make sure the new stuff fits right.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
its flimsier. Used all repop stuff just cause it looked new
still have bundles of all my good originals. Over last 3 yrs....the old switches to this day are in better condition than the repops. May put my old light and ign switch in cant find a good one dont want those malfunctioning

·
Premium Member
3,707 Posts
The market for OEM pieces like the OP is describing has never been stronger, especially for 1970 Chevelles. You can't quit your day job by selling them but there is definitely a market.

A lot of the repop parts available today are simply Chinese or Taiwanese junk. It's amazing how 45-50 year old OEM parts look WAY better than 3-5 year old repop cr*p.

Reactions: davewho1 and von

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have been doing a similar project, selling old stuff on Craigslist. Not getting top dollar, but getting the stuff out of my garage and a few bucks back in the pocket. I would list small stuff here in the classifieds, and maybe on eBay, and the big stuff on Craigslist, to avoid big shipping charges.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I am working on a 1970 Malibu and plan to do more of a restomod on it. If I take original parts off the vehicle is there a market for these for people who are working on real restoration projects?

Example - I am missing the passenger side windshield trim. I bought the 3 piece set from an aftermarket parts supplier so I have original trim for the top of the windshield and the driver side. Is there a demand for this kind of thing? If I could re-coup a couple of dollars here and there and help someone out it seems better than just throwing it away.
If I was you I would find an original piece to replace the one you are missing and toss the aftermarket set in the dumpster. Someone here will have the piece you are missing. Stay away from aftermarket stuff if you can.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,279 Posts
Re: Is there a market for my 1970 original parts?

If I was you I would find an original piece to replace the one you are missing and toss the aftermarket set in the dumpster. Someone here will have the piece you are missing. Stay away from aftermarket stuff if you can.
:yes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts