Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No info on the origins of this motor. Was looking to get a new pulley/bracket set for the car and noticed the fan on the car is set to spin counter clockwise (I’ll attach photos). I’m not home (on vacation) so cant confirm if in fact the motor does turn counter clockwise. Whoever had this car before me put a huge ugly ass bracket for the steering pump/Alternator and basically made it a serpentine system. Let me know what you guys think and please let me know if this new pulley kit will work.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive battery
Automotive tire Hood Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Tread
Automotive fuel system Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
Product Automotive tire Font Flash photography Camera lens

·
Registered
1966 El Camino 350/370HP 5 speed TKX 3.31 rear.1967 Chevelle 454/430HP Th400 w/Gear Vender 3.73 rear
194 Posts
Your engine is correct and turning clockwise but the belt is pulling the water pump counterclockwise due to your acc drive. If your engine was turning counterclockwise you would be having a few issues with your drive train. :ROFLMAO: Your all good

·
Registered
602 Posts
Your motor turns clock-wise as it should, but because of the way the belt is routed around the water pump/fan, it's turning it counter-clockwise. It's not the same as your example last picture which would turn clock-wise. Note in your case how the belt runs over the top of the water pump pulley vs. below. If you ever need to replace your water pump, you'll need to ensure you get one that runs counter-clockwise as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your motor turns clock-wise as it should, but because of the way the belt is routed around the water pump/fan, it's turning it counter-clockwise. It's not the same as your example last picture which would turn clock-wise. Note in your case how the belt runs over the top of the water pump pulley vs. below. If you ever need to replace your water pump, you'll need to ensure you get one that runs counter-clockwise as well.
So I do want to replace the pump but only because I want that whole front end to be new, that being said, if I get the new pulley system (pictured in last shot) will I still need to get a counter clockwise water pump or would I be good with a clockwise?

·
Super Moderator
13,492 Posts
Why would you want to change anything ? It all looks brand new ? You have to get the pump that matches the belt setup.

·
Premium Member
6,560 Posts
So I do want to replace the pump but only because I want that whole front end to be new, that being said, if I get the new pulley system (pictured in last shot) will I still need to get a counter clockwise water pump or would I be good with a clockwise?
you would need a clockwise pump and fan. you are going from serpentine to ribbed belt as they say and it will spin clockwise so both pump and fan need to be changed in that case.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,475 Posts
You might want to get a shroud that cover the whole radiator while you're changing the front drive system, who's system is that? very nice and looks like it leaves room for an ac comp. to be mounted above the alt.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Car Vehicle Boat Tire Wheel

In Oklahoma the answer depends on whether your Chevelle has a tow bar and extra wide side mirrors.

(ps--That's a '83 Chevette workhorse)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You might want to get a shroud that cover the whole radiator while you're changing the front drive system, who's system is that? very nice and looks like it leaves room for an ac comp. to be mounted above the alt.
Yea the shroud definitely needs to be changed. The system is nice, not hating that part. Just the look could’ve been better, hence me wanting to change it. But I’ve been told it’s a bracket from a truck that had a bbc🤷🏽‍♂️

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
10,475 Posts
Yea the shroud definitely needs to be changed. The system is nice, not hating that part. Just the look could’ve been better, hence me wanting to change it. But I’ve been told it’s a bracket from a truck that had a bbc🤷🏽‍♂️
I meant who sells the new one you're getting? it looks very nice, I have a rib belt set up from the 86 RV my 454 came with minus the alt/ac comp bracket that was so big you'd need an extra 50 hp because of it's weight lol

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
No info on the origins of this motor. Was looking to get a new pulley/bracket set for the car and noticed the fan on the car is set to spin counter clockwise (I’ll attach photos). I’m not home (on vacation) so cant confirm if in fact the motor does turn counter clockwise. Whoever had this car before me put a huge ugly ass bracket for the steering pump/Alternator and basically made it a serpentine system. Let me know what you guys think and please let me know if this new pulley kit will work. View attachment 740060 View attachment 740061 View attachment 740062 View attachment 740063
I belive you have a zz502.

Reactions: mr 4 speed

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I meant who sells the new one you're getting? it looks very nice, I have a rib belt set up from the 86 RV my 454 came with minus the alt/ac comp bracket that was so big you'd need an extra 50 hp because of it's weight lol
Oh my bad😂 yes this new setup is gorgeous. Love it because of the simplicity. It’s from CVFracing.com. This price is with new 140amp alt and steering pump as well, otherwise is roughly $600.
Camera accessory Camera Cameras & optics Font Camera lens

·
Registered
13,256 Posts
That is either a factory 7.4 serpentine setup or and adapted SB system. I'd bet its a factory BB system as the adapted SB setups utilize an adapter plate kit. The plate that has the Chevy emblem on it is where an A/C compressor would mount. Someone appears to have mounted an additional idler pulley to compensate for the lack of the compressor, and used a shorter belt.

Either way, IMO the factory systems are superior to any of that aftermarket stuff, and its a TRUE serpentine system vs whatever the aftermarket call their stuff. Your lucky to have that!

·
Premium Member
1969 Chevy Chevelle SS396, M20, 12 bolt 3:55, 454 w/fuel injection
36 Posts
Oh my bad😂 yes this new setup is gorgeous. Love it because of the simplicity. It’s from CVFracing.com. This price is with new 140amp alt and steering pump as well, otherwise is roughly $600. View attachment 740091
I agree, CVF has really nice setups. I don’t have the serpentine system but I do have 3 of their pulleys on my ride. USA made in Minnesota I do believe. 😉

1 - 19 of 19 Posts