Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horn doesn't work in my 68 chevelle malibu w/ 327. I checked out the horn relay and this is what i found: The horn works on a straight 12v The plugs that are supposed to recieve power do (Black-Red wire, and a Red wire). The Door Open buzzer works. I tried grounding the horn switch male connector (Where black wire going into bundle was connected), and the horn did not sound. Isn't it supposed to? Is the relay bad? :confused: Any help would be great. Thanks- Eric

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
Unplug the small black wire from the relay. Be sure it's the smaller (16ga) wire & not the larger (14ga) wire that goes to the horns. Make a jumper wire, plug it in where you took the black wire out & ground it. The relay should make contact & the hooters should hoot. If this works & it doesn't work when you ground the wire at the horn button, then the problem is in the wiring between the horn button & the relay. Hope this helps.

BL

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats what i did before. I disconnected the Horn Switch from the relay (the one that goes to the column), and left the wire connected to the actual horn connected to the relay. I then used a jumper cable and inserted it where the Horn Switch connector was. I then grounded it, but nothing happened. sorry if i wasn't clear in my original post. I'm startin' to think it is busted

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have a paper on trouble shooting the 69-82 Corvette horn system. The wiring colors might be different from the GM A-car but I am sure that the relay and horn circuitry are the same. Go to www.corvettefaq.com and look under Steering. Download:

Horn Operation Diagnosis - Rev 07JL03

It should lead you to the correct diagnosis of your problem.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help. Anyone know of a good place to get a replacement? Year One wanted like $50, that seems a bit steep. Any ideas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts