Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rookie question.

Is it supposed to be so hard to get fuel line inserted into these fittings? (The red end) I'm pretty sure I got the right sizes. It's super hard to get non-braided fuel line to slip inside this fitting, let alone braided!

Any tricks? Do I just need to man up? :)

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Some of the difficulty I had in the past was based on lack of a clean cut. We used to use a hacksaw (>30 yrs ago). We started taping it very tightly with duct tape and used a very thin cut off wheel to minimize the splintering. We were using aircraft quality stainless braided hoses on our race boats.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'll try these tips.

One more question. Once the hose is inserted fully into this type of fitting, that's it right? I mean, there's no where for a hose clamp, so it must be I guess ... Insert it fully and it will hold?

This is in the fuel system near the fuel pump.

·
Administrator
16,202 Posts
It goes together in two stages. First the collar is screwed onto the hose then the fitting is screwed into the collar. As said some silicone spray helps. Also make sure the hose is flushed of all particles from assembly before installing.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
It goes together in two stages. First the collar is screwed onto the hose then the fitting is screwed into the collar. As said some silicone spray helps. Also make sure the hose is flushed of all particles from assembly before installing.
I agree. Sounds like you weren't taking the fitting apart first? There's videos on youtube showing how to do it, like this one...

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah you guys were right. I wasn't taking it apart first. I feel silly, but hey ... Thanks for helping.

Don't ever let anyone tell you it's easy learning how to build a car from the ground up with no experience at the age of 38. :)

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Yeah you guys were right. I wasn't taking it apart first. I feel silly, but hey ... Thanks for helping.
No reason to feel silly. Glad you learned what you needed to know. That's what these forums are all about! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The guy at the speed shop suggested putting teflon tape on the threads of these fittings. Is this common practice?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I use teflon tape on all pipe fittings. It's pretty easy to trim off any that remains visible with a sharp utility knife if it bothers you. I can't say it's necessary in all cases but it sure doesn't hurt.

·
Administrator
16,202 Posts
AN or flare fittings do not need any type of sealer. Pipe threads should have some. If any stray piece gets in a fuel line it can cause the needle valve not to seat. Teflon tape is for non automotive plumbing, Teflon sealer is used on fittings and bolts into water or oil passages. Teflon tape on electrical sensors can cause the gauge to not read correctly by insulating the threads from grounding properly.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, some type of Permatex thread sealer that's safe for use around gasoline seems to be the ticket. Applied only to the pipe threads. Agree?

·
Administrator
16,202 Posts
Pipe threads and bolts into oil or water are all that will need to be sealed. I use this on the pipe threads in the fuel pump fittings and on bolts where needed.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Sounds like you've got it figured out, but I will add one more tip. Before you screw it together, make a mark on the hose with a sharpie where it starts to go into the fitting. That way if it starts to push out when you are putting it together, you can catch it, and start over. Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oops! This has been quite the learning experience for me. :) Back to Speedway Motors for a new fitting. Not quite so tight next time. :)

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1359174454.135196.jpg

·
Administrator
16,202 Posts
I built a hose for a customers car today. You need a little lighter touch :) When the 2 pieces meet then it is done.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep! Are these fittings metric or something? Seemed like a 3/4 wrench did the job but fit sloppy. It's a driver, so not worried about scratches, but just curious. Bo

1 - 20 of 33 Posts