Team Chevelle banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Chevelle Malibu, upgraded to a 396/TH400 from a 327/PG
697 Posts
I was thinking also that the 99 new body style came out mid year and you could not get it early in the 99 model year?
I remember seeing the first “new body style” pickups on the Chevy lot where I worked right around Labor Day in 1999.

Reactions: Westieterrier

·
Premium Member
14,223 Posts
Some of the changeover back then had to do with the assembly factory, back in 88, when the body style changed, the 4 door cabs and full size Blazers were assembled and a different plant than the new(now old) body style. It can be a pain when getting parts outside the dealer!

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Definitely as Bill said, keep a watch on those pos phenolic resin plastic intake gaskets!! Iron block, iron heads, and aluminum intake.. Rate of expansion between the 2 dissimilar metals is enough that they chew the plastic gaskets, it's not a matter of if, it's when you need to replace them. If not already done, flush out the orange dexcool and go with yellow coolant. Also if you start having P0300 random misfires check the distributor drive gear, they wear and cause timing issues.

If you start hitting forums you will see people referring to the trucks as OBS (Old Body Style) and NBS (New Body Style). You have the old body style truck as mentioned above, great truck, good luck with it!
Thanks Jeff!! Noted.

Reactions: Hotwire

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Gentlemen, I am VERY grateful for all of your considered and knowledgeable responses. Yes, I have a "holdover" 1999 Chevy C2500 truck, also known as a "bastard truck," I've heard. Def. not a Silverado (what a silly name anyway!). I found an old salt at a nearby dealership and he printed out the entire RPO Coded list of equipment my truck has based on the VIN, and it has some interesting components like the 10.5" Corporate Axle 3.73 and the heavy duty trans (like a modern turbo 400). Not particularly valuable, but kinda rare. Perfect for my 40-year never-sell-her plan. I'm the second owner, so I will to keep her well.

I'm going to post a second question regarding front and rear spring upgrades for carrying the 35-year-old Lance Camper I am also restoring.

Again, thank you gentlemen! Patrick

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
GM kept that "old body style" as the "Classic" through 2000 year model on the trucks with over 8500 GVW. This would be the the 2500 HD and 3500 trucks.
Tom, after many phone calls and a visit to the dealership to chat with a GM technician (f.k.a. mechanic) with 45 yrs. experience, you are 110% correct!! Thanks man. P

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Silverado WAS a trim package previous to 1999/2000. Silverado then became the designation for the new body style 1500 only. They worked it into the 2500 later on. My 2000 K1500 was a Silverado but they didn't use the K designation anymore either and there was some confusion on getting parts. EVERYTHING needs a frikken vin now to find the correct parts. Thank you Chevrolet for confusing the hell out of what SHOULD be a simple repair.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Gentlemen, I am VERY grateful for all of your considered and knowledgeable responses. Yes, I have a "holdover" 1999 Chevy C2500 truck, also known as a "bastard truck," I've heard. Def. not a Silverado (what a silly name anyway!). I found an old salt at a nearby dealership and he printed out the entire RPO Coded list of equipment my truck has based on the VIN, and it has some interesting components like the 10.5" Corporate Axle 3.73 and the heavy duty trans (like a modern turbo 400). Not particularly valuable, but kinda rare. Perfect for my 40-year never-sell-her plan. I'm the second owner, so I will to keep her well.

I'm going to post a second question regarding front and rear spring upgrades for carrying the 35-year-old Lance Camper I am also restoring.

Again, thank you gentlemen! Patrick
Look at the add on air springs for the rear. You only need to use them when the camper is on. Putting stiffer leafs under there will only create a harsh ride, especially when empty. Rolling bag air springs will support the extra weight and provide a smooth ride.

·
Super Moderator
13,358 Posts
If not already done, flush out the orange dexcool and go with yellow coolant.
I am going to respectfully disagree with this. My 99 has had Dexcool in it since new and now has close to 270k miles on it. The coolant has only been change twice. Once when I did the intake gaskets at about 125K and the second time when one of the plastic radiator tanks cracked about 2 years ago. The coolant looked fine both times.

Dexcool got a bum rap when it first came out but it was because of other problems that allowed air into the cooling systems.

Working on engines and engine parts every day I see the problems caused by using the incorrect coolant. This engine calls for Dexcool and that is what should be it it.

Just my opinion :)

·
Premium Member
995 Posts
I am going to respectfully disagree with this. My 99 has had Dexcool in it since new and now has close to 270k miles on it. The coolant has only been change twice. Once when I did the intake gaskets at about 125K and the second time when one of the plastic radiator tanks cracked about 2 years ago. The coolant looked fine both times.

Dexcool got a bum rap when it first came out but it was because of other problems that allowed air into the cooling systems.

Working on engines and engine parts every day I see the problems caused by using the incorrect coolant. This engine calls for Dexcool and that is what should be it it.

Just my opinion :)
I agree.... I've got just shy of 243K on mine and never had issues with the coolant ever coming out as anything but a clear orange/pink liquid. In fact, I just had the heads off 2 weekends ago and looking into the water jacket it is still bare metal - NO RUST.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I currently have a 2007 with the same cross-over year situation.... They call it a "Classic"..... To get the correct parts, I usually order for a 2006...
I have the newer version 2007. I was told they didn't have the new reworked model ready when they normally would have come out with the new model year so they kept making the 2006 for a couple months longer than originally anticipated and titled them 2007 Classic. It's often a little confusing at the parts counter. Also, 2007 is the last year for the 4L80E (4 speed) transmission in Chevy trucks. In 2008 the automatics went 6 speed.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts