Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
or do all holley (4011)carbureted engines smell of raw fuel when they are cool and sitting....wheni go into my garage i smeel fuel...no leaks...strongest right at the air filter..if i remove the filter the carb bores always seem wet...seems like the black gaskets between the carb body and the boost venturi assembly is weepy tho the hold down screw is TIGHT...what can be causing that???

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Rich, naw no way. For the little time I spend aroundcars, the minute the beak picks ups that scent, gotta run it down. You shouldn't smell raw fuel unless you;ve just doen some maintenace. Sure you;re venting out and not under the car?

Happy Holidays!

G

·
If it is just after you shut the engine off hot, it's just fuel evaporating out of the hot carb via the vent holes. If you air out the garage, and the smell returns, you'd better find that leak!

RH

·
Registered
155 Posts
Don't smoke in the garage!

My Holly on the El Camino would weep fuel out of everywhere and was a bear to start if it sat for more that 20 minutes. Turned out to be the paper washer behind the power valve. It was all hard and wouldn't crush the tiny amount needed to seal.

------------------
Dale P.
Team Chevelle Member# 423
65 El Camino
72 Monte Carlo
"..you did you take the washer off, right?"

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
car has been sitting for 2 days...if i touch the bores my finger comes up wet....this rat even sucks fuel when shes parked!!! LOL

will check float levels tomorrow...the fuel level MUST be high to be seeping out this ,ong...dont ya think???

my car is already restored and i got a retoration guide for christmas from my kids...and i still love it... hehehe

guess anything chevelle was a sure bet!!!

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Rich, you lucky dawg. Man I dropped hints and, nothing. ( Of course the G-tech was a little out of budget). Oh well, the Chevelle was aways a gift to myself ( wanted a muscle ride back before 40), so I had to call Summit for a Pertronix coil ( eliminated that darn ballast)and a safety loop ( Planning on 11's - YES I AM ).

Find that gas leak. I found that my carb was always a little wet after running.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,971 Posts
If you're still venting fuel after two days, I'd be looking for a pressurized fuel tank that isn't vented properly. Did you fill up with CCCCOOOOLLLDDD gasoline, then park in a warm garage? Correct fuel cap?

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
interesting you should ask that shurkey...
fuel cap always vents ALOT of pressure when i release it therefore i assume it is non vented..and i assumed that was the correct cap...what is the correct cap???

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.