Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am going ot be changing the gears soon in my 12 bolt. i thought while i was doing that, that i might as well rebuild the posi w/ some new carbon fiber clutches. i was wondering if it was easy to do?? what exactly do i need to do? just crack open the case and replace the clutches? thanks
Preston
1967 Chevelle- [email protected] hoping for 11's now!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Preston,

Sorry I can't help you with this, but if you could, I'd appreciate it if you could keep me up with this too. I've got an Eaton and a 12 bolt at home and both need rebuilds. I'm doing research on this topic, but stuff is a bit hard to find. If you run into any trouble, could you please email me and let me know what to expect?? Thanks!! My email is in my profile...

Nick

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
My brother in law got parts for his Eaton posi at the local Chevy dealer, I have no idea if they still have this stuff cause it was a few years ago. This would be a better fit in the Drivetrain forum.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
I rebuilt my 12 bolt when the pinion bearings went out, it wasn't that hard. To make things easier:
-Use a vice to hold the posi unit
-Have some BIG channel locks to compress the clutch spring pack
-have shims to shim the clutch packs (the tighter the shim packs the tighter the unit will be).
Hope this helps.

------------------
Nathan Brandt
The more cubes the better!!!
70 SS 396 4spd under restorstion
71 SS 454 clone 8.8 1/8 on pump gas and 8" slicks
60' 1.949 & 77 MPH
Team Chevelle # 1143
My 71 SS 454 clone

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
Rebuilding a posi isn't too hard. You need a axle to use for turning the axle gears so you can get the pinion (spider) gears back in it. You will need clutch pack shims to get the clearance set right. The hardest part is getting the preload springs and plates back in. Large chanel locks can be used to compress the pack and a small rubber mallet to drive it in between the axle gears. This is a trial and error job getting the shims right. I have rebuilt many of them. I cut the end off of a old axle and ground it flat on the sides so I could put it in a vice and use it for a rebuild stand. I have one for every kind of posi I rebuild.

------------------
'69 RS/SS396 Pro Street
427 4 speed 9"
Byars Performance
High Performance Drivetrain Parts & Service
www.lubedealer.com/biggearhead

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Whatever you do don't let that diff oil spill all over your garage floor! That stuff stinks! It took 3 washes On Sun to reduce the smell to a somewhat comfortable level.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.