Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 64 to 66 Chevelle and other GM vehicles there was a sport steering wheel option for a wood grained plastic wheel. To make this steering wheel fit one had to use a GM adaptor hub. The question is how can one tell a original hub and original wheel from the reproductions that are being made. If there is a part number where should I find it? I have a wheel thats said to be original but I find no numbers. Hub has a part number but not the wheel? Help:beers:

·
Registered
8,210 Posts
a repo wheel is much lighter then a real one

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
a repo wheel is much lighter then a real one
That is not gonna be real helpful if you only have one wheel handy. To paraphrase Dirty Harry " The thing you have to ask yourself is...is this one I have the light one or is this one the heavy one"?

Seriously the repops are light because they are CHEAP. I had one in a non power steering car and the rim was like rubber. I think that the GM originals have a metal ring inside the plastic simulated wood (Future Wood as a buddy of mine calls the stuff). Perhaps the plastic is WAY WAY more flexible on the repops than the original GM plastic was back in the day. I could bend the rim on the repop all over the place when parking the car. I took it back immediately.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do any of you guys have a scale near by? I will take the wheel in question to the local Post Office for a accurate weight. The wheel I have has a stainless ring exposed on the outer rim. Stainless steel spoke has a very fine brushed finish

1 - 5 of 5 Posts