Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opertunity to pick up a set of AFR aluminum heads for $800. They are 210cc with 2.08 in and 2.6 exh. I'm building a 350 and i was wondering if this would be to big of heads to run on the street. I want to be able to drive to car shows and cruise the town without any problems. Here's my setup so far.

4-bolt 350 bored 30 over
stock crank
Polished pink rods
trw forged pistons, 9.5 to 1 compression with 64cc heads
performer rpm intake
750cfm double pumper carb
performer rpm cam?
and the afr heads if they work good or else performer rpm heads.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Are the heads complete? what spring do they have, will the springs work with the cam you will choose. A new set of AFR heads complete will run you 1500.00. If you have to buy a bunch of valves and springs, that 800 might not be that much of a deal.

The 210 cc port might be a touch on the big side for a street car, but if the heads are cheap enough, think of it this way; whatever low speed power you will be giving up (20 HP?) with those heads, you will probably not feel. Especially if you dont have the smaller port heads to compare with.

So if they are complete and ready to go, get em, you cant beat it for the money, if not, skip em, buy the set you really want/need.

HTH

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
same thing i was wandering for my 355 with the fully ported 441 heads im getting for $250 (cheap like me) 2.02 1.5 valves ported to the gills but i look at it this way, i'd rather have too much flow than not enough plus you can upgrade the bottom if you want.

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/350.jpg
John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r (soon to be 355)

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Lucky, I'm not going to brief you on what to look for in used heads, I assume you know. I think the 210 will give you the most umph abopve 4500-5000 so if you, like me, live for the moment you can flog your mill and rip it up to 6500, these would be an excellent choice. What I'm trying to say, I'll give up a little on the low end side if I can get it back X2 in the 5000-6500 range. It sounds like these will do just that. Don;t undercam it and with alums you can bump up the engine's CR a bit. Keep the low end/midrange compromise in mind when you choose. Plus if you ever want to build a stroker, I would definitely use the bigger heads. These are not the right choice for a tow vehicle and would work best, I would assume, with a cam running 235-240 duration with a 3000-6500 powerband. The other issue is that, theoretically, you don;t want to use a small runner intake feeding into large runner heads. It'll really screw up the flow velocity just above the valve. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 12-20-1999).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.