Team Chevelle banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or is everyone working on 67's all of a sudden? When I started mine I couldn't find anyone who was doing them. Now they seem to be everywhere.
Don't get me wrong...I think it's great to see so many being done.

· Registered
1,754 Posts
Well 1967's are the best year:D; I did notice Chip Foose did one, but I don't like his color combo.

· Registered
227 Posts
well, I might be biased, but I think a 67 might have been a better base for a DD for me, since they came with th350/th400. but I like the front end of a 66 better, so I got mine with a powerglide, and have begun assembling parts to do a th350 conversion....

· Registered
109 Posts
Ya know Brian, I was thinking the same thing. When i started this 67 about 2 years ago there very few in progress around this board (at least that I saw anyways). Now that it's been assembeled, disassembeled, spent 9 months in primer prison, is back for final assembly,,, there is at least one or two posts about a 67 every day. Of course, I'm a freeking post whore and like a kid with a new toy now that the baby is back home!

But that's OK, it's great to see how everyone else is going about their build. Every one that gets rescued from the clutches of the crusher is one more destined to be back on the road. And we all like that! :)

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like that there are so many being done now. Maybe that will get some of the vendors to start reproducing some of the parts I still need. Like tail light housings and gaskets.

There is another guy in the Chevelle club I belong to doing a 67. So I at least have someone to bounce ideas off.

Marv....only two years. I've been tinkering with mine since 99.
But it's getting close, went to the painter last Wednesday. I would at least like to have it out of paint in time for my chevelle clubs show in August. Interior will need to wait till next spring as I only work on it when I have the money. I've built a couple cars on borrowed money and said never again.

· Premium Member
15,625 Posts
well, I might be biased, but I think a 67 might have been a better base for a DD for me, since they came with th350/th400. but I like the front end of a 66 better, so I got mine with a powerglide, and have begun assembling parts to do a th350 conversion....
:confused: The 67 only came with the TH400 with a big block and TH350 didn't appear until 69. A TH350 is an easy swap I'd guess though, mine already had a TH350 (and later disc brakes) when I bought it some years ago. ;)

· Registered
12,168 Posts
when I went and bought my daily driver elcamino, the guy told me it was a 67. I went to the house and in the back yard turned out to be a 68 elcamino. But its all good. jim

· Registered
245 Posts
I love the thoughtfulness of Chevrolet Motor Division. They made a 1966 El Camino just for me to do anything I want to with. The more stuff I put in a box and don't put back on... the faster it goes. The nice daily driver original numbers matching 283/Powerslide left, and is somewhere in Long Beach. I think. I dunno. I guess the numbers don't match anymore. Well, except for the horsepower and ET numbers. They kind of go together now.

My Elco does, however, have the very common but yet totally unknown (these days) optional Wink Package. No, not the mirror that went all the way across the windshield. The Wink Performance Package is what Chevrolet gave you after you bought your new car when they would point the way to the parts counter. A brand-new L/88 for $640. An L-79 for under five hundred bux. Deep groove pulleys. A "crate" M-22.
I went shopping on the Wink Plan many times in the 70s. Now, in the 200x's, the Wink Package is still alive and well. A new ZL-1? A nice 572 or a 4L80-E... I go shopping all the time.

It's fun being partners with Chevrolet. Ahh, the Wink Package Option. A great way to ruin an otherwise future "collectible".

Eric

· Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got mine from a buddy who owed me some money. One day he said "Dude I'm not going to be able to pay you all the money I owe you. Why don't you take the El Camino for the last couple hundred bucks I owe you." So I took it cause I figured if i didn't, I wouldn't get anything. After getting it home and looking it over. I didn't think he did me any favors. I kind of thought I got the sort of end of the stick. That was in 99. So now after 9 years of working on it off and on I'm feeling a little better about it. But if I could have any year I would go for a 69.
My girlfreind as a 79 Cabellero and a 83 El Camino and I will admit I'm started to grow partial to them. And I've always wanted a 59. So I guess the only generation of elky that doesn't do anything for me would be the 4th gens.

· Registered
115 Posts
Well,I have had mine since 1974.Started restoration about 4 years ago.
Kinda glad it is popular year,maybe help keep the value up:thumbsup:

· Registered
12,278 Posts
After having a few differnt yrs of Caminos I decided I liked the 67 the best.
See them around once in awhile. They are either restored and marina blue or hammered to death :(

Love the grill on those.

· Registered
227 Posts
:confused: The 67 only came with the TH400 with a big block and TH350 didn't appear until 69. A TH350 is an easy swap I'd guess though, mine already had a TH350 (and later disc brakes) when I bought it some years ago. ;)
Oh, thanks for the clarification. Like I said, I have a 66, and it has the PG, so that's all I know. The other years, I am just sort of gathering bits of info here and there, an sometimes, I guess a swap might have occured and not been the original offering.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts