Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Richard Holdener channel on YT probably does more dyno testing on every engine/combo imaginable and is a fan of boost.

So sure...if your rowdy lots of overlap engine made good power NA if you throw boost at it sure it will make more

But is it right? Are you blowing your cyl pressure out the tailpipe? at a point Id think a cam designed for the blower/turbo would really benefit the car, manners especially.

For the builders, cam guys whats your honest opinion? Not sure I really buy that.
Couldnt imagine the cam I run to behave well wtih a blower

·
Registered
4,931 Posts
I'm in the 'low overlap' camp when it comes to blower cams. I'd want to do everything possible to avoid a backfire into the manifold and blower itself.

Reactions: pannetron

·
Vendor
9,465 Posts
More hits on Youtube channel more money you make....Video Volume makes more Money...

Blowers need blower cams, Turbos's Need Turbo Cams, and NA need NA cams.

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you Chris. Keep the responses coming . For curiosities sake what would you recommend for the application below? (heads cam)
yrs back a buddy (has a duplicate of DZs 70) put together a cheapy speed o motive 383
B and M 144 blower, 882 heads, little cleanup in the bowls and a ("wrong") Isky 264 mega cam
3.08 gears. First 500 mi was NA then added the blower. I was stunned how well that car pulled even in 3rd.
To think with a proper cam...better head how it could have run.
Noticed most cars with a 6-71 idle pretty smooth, tame.Minimal overlap wide lsa?

·
Registered
13,286 Posts
The more power you make N/A the more you will make super/turbo charged. Boost is a "HP multiplier". Back in the old days turbos had restrictive turbines leading to high backpressure, and "turbo" cams were meant to combat this. With the new free-flowing turbos out there it isn't an issue anymore and your better off making as much n/a as you can before boost - if you want a responsive combo.

Reactions: 71malibuu

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I'm slowly doing a 110 mm turbo on a 555 and will be doing a cam swap from it's NA day's. I'd like to make 850 NA or as much as I can but keep torque down at the same time. Not sure I'd call it a turbo cam but custom to fit the needs.

·
Registered
Ryan
1,388 Posts
I think I saw that video. That was more specifically referring to turbos if I’m not mistaken. I’d love to know the answer aswell because I want to build a blower motor down the road

·
Vendor
9,465 Posts
Opening and intake valve way to early puts the mechanical force of the engine in competition with boost entering the cylinder. 2 opposing forces don't work well together.....Now wait till the piston is at TDC then start to open the valve and use boost to accelerate the piston down the hole....Good idea.

·
Vendor
9,465 Posts
Thank you Chris. Keep the responses coming . For curiosities sake what would you recommend for the application below? (heads cam)
yrs back a buddy (has a duplicate of DZs 70) put together a cheapy speed o motive 383
B and M 144 blower, 882 heads, little cleanup in the bowls and a ("wrong") Isky 264 mega cam
3.08 gears. First 500 mi was NA then added the blower. I was stunned how well that car pulled even in 3rd.
To think with a proper cam...better head how it could have run.
Noticed most cars with a 6-71 idle pretty smooth, tame.Minimal overlap wide lsa?
Based on what you posted and a max of 6000 rpm for power you would be looking at something like

.570/.550
221 / 237 .050"
112/112 Centers
112 LSA

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chris Ill pass it on. Hes a member here but rarely is on the web. Hydraulic roller?
With both valves were open meaning overlap, couldnt the incoming charge w/boost just blow the intake charge or part of it out the exh valve? Kind of like the Bootlegger/Thumpr cams do...or cams with lots of exh duration and tight lsa? Is overlap really even needed to pull the intake charge in being as its forced already?
Not sure I am saying this correctly sure you know what I mean

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle SS 454 LS5
114 Posts
I'm slowly doing a 110 mm turbo on a 555 and will be doing a cam swap from it's NA day's. I'd like to make 850 NA or as much as I can but keep torque down at the same time. Not sure I'd call it a turbo cam but custom to fit the needs.
What's the compression ratio N/A?
Looks like u want to make over 1000 HP

·
Registered
816 Posts
More hits on Youtube channel more money you make....Video Volume makes more Money...

Blowers need blower cams, Turbos's Need Turbo Cams, and NA need NA cams.
He has literally hundreds of videos showing different engines, ls,bbc,sbc,fords, v6 etc etc doing the exactly same thing. Motor makes x amount of power na, add boost and motor mirrors the power curve just with much more power.

how many videos does Straub tech have showing a back to back comparison on multiple different combos showing that a turbo motor needs a turbo cam, a blower motor needs a blower cam??

More posts and hits about ram horn manifolds “ that won’t fit on a Chevelle” on a Chevelle website the more money you make. The more engines that other builders built, that make good power, that purchased a cam from Straub tech and get posted by Straub tech click volume is money.

What does getting a lot of views on you tube have to do with the actual data that Richard is publicizing? Is he photo shopping the dyno videos and sheets? Or more likely, are his findings actually what is happening…

·
Registered
816 Posts
6:25 is your answer. What’s to think about.
That sbc combo na is a nice stout small block. Probably very similar to what a lot of guys on this site are running. The aggressive na cam in the video, that most guys are running would be my choice for that video. Both na and under boost made much better power.
Once I start seeing some actual proof that turbo motors need turbo cams, then I’ll go for it. Until then, I’ll spend that 600-1000 dollars on something that will actually produce and not on magazine/sales hyped parts. “Of course talking normal motors, not 2500+ Hp deals.”

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
6:25 is your answer. What’s to think about.
That sbc combo na is a nice stout small block. Probably very similar to what a lot of guys on this site are running. The aggressive na cam in the video, that most guys are running would be my choice for that video. Both na and under boost made much better power.
Once I start seeing some actual proof that turbo motors need turbo cams, then I’ll go for it. Until then, I’ll spend that 600-1000 dollars on something that will actually produce and not on magazine/sales hyped parts. “Of course talking normal motors, not 2500+ Hp deals.”
yea personally for most 800-1000hp boosted combos (depending on platform) I think a generic cam will work to some degree.

If your in the +1000hp bracket or +20psi boost levels, you really need to consider something custom.

Richard is a very bright person I feel, keep in mind some of his best combos with boost are usually a BTR turbo specific camshaft. Basically all his big bang series stuff has boost specific camshaft.

·
Registered
12,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Boggs, yes was curious what it takes to make that kind of power.
To me its mind boggling. Ridden once in a Cts-V wtih almost 7 to the ground.
Was blown away at how, just rolling into the throrrle in 3rd/D how hard that thing pulled...and pulled. You couldnt "nail" it in any gear youd be over the curb...which for me would kinda take a lil fun out of it. Adrenalin machine you bet! Camt have that kind of power....Know myself too well.

It is pretty popular these days so paying more attention thats all.
Sure doesnt appear to be an endeavor for shallow pockets and guessing!

Watched many of his videos seems like a pretty experienced intelligent guy
Not crazy about the constant pushing of comp cams just a person thing.
Id definitely be wanting (if needed) a specific cam done or if its a shelf...to be the most effiicient ideal one at that power range.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts