Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to thinking about all the different cams out there. Solid flats, hyd. flats, hyd roller, solid roller, and etc.

Question came to my mind. Is duration the same on all cams? What do I mean is this. Here are some questions.

1. Does the duration affect the cams performance the same on all cams?

2. If all 4 of these cams have the same duration and lsa, say 280/280 and 110, then will they all sound the same and perform the same?

3. Does the lifter style pay a roll in the sound of the cam and performance of the cam?

4. Other than maintainence and oil issues what is the reason for having so many different forms of cams?

·
Registered
579 Posts
1. no

2. yes and no. lift plays a big part of this and lifter type.

3.yes

4.the intended use, street,street performance,drag race, oval track,marine and so on.. gearing, weight, total gear ratio and tire size all play in part of choosing a cam along with engine size, compression ratio,type of fuel, their are alot of variables and i am sure their are some i did not mention.

·
Registered
13,381 Posts
In simple terms, keeping everything the same, effective duration of a solid cam is always less then a comparable hydraulic - some 6*-8* roughly. An equavalent solid will typically always idle better and pull more vacuum at idle than a comparable hydraulic (with stock type lifters). As far as area under the curve, you can run a much smaller cam when you switch to a roller and increase overall driveability while still maintaining the power - if that's what you really want.

Also, keep in mind. although SAE standard for seat timing is .006", Crane lists their's at .0045 (??) making then appear longer and I think Isky lists them at around .006 open/.008 close which shortens the advertised duration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts