Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rally different that that for a Small Block?
I was reading an article froma Car Craft magazine written a couple of years ago. They put the 502 in a small block car and they said that you need a different pump for a big block.

If they are different, where is a good place to get a BB power steering pump?
Thanks

·
Registered
834 Posts
I used the same pump when I switched from a 350 to 454, different mounts are required but the pump was fine.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
"Hard work MAY pay of in the long run, but laziness pays off NOW"
My Page

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris.
Did you use a different reservoir or hoses?
I have seen BB and SB pumps and hoses, and I am just not sure if they are interchangeable.
Thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yanni!
You have just begun the GREAT bracket caper of all time! There are so many combinations out there it boggles the mind. You will probably end up using a remote unit. You can buy the pump outright at places like Kragen ect for about 40 bucks. You will also need the remote canister and hose which you can get from and Chevelle resto house.
All of this depends on which side you want the alternator ect.
May I suggest you get the engine first and see what holes are drilled in the block and heads before you go buying all the wrong brackets.
I have been through this drill a few times and every application is different and takes time to sort out! Mark

------------------
www.chevelles.com/showroom/Mark50265ss-6
NUFF SAID!!!

65SS Malibu ZZ502/200R4/9inch
72SS/402/T400
97 Chevy Tahoe/Whipple Supercharged

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mark.
I am really looking forward to it now

I will do that, get the motor in and then figure it out. The Merlin block has the holes exactly in the same place as the Chevy blocks (that's what they say anyway.)

Also, my alternator wiring is on the drivers side and that is where my atlernator was located with the small block.

Thanks

·
Registered
834 Posts
When I swapped motors I didn't change ANYTHING except the mount for the power steering. However I have mine set up with the alternator on the passenger side and ps on the driver side. I would recommend that you convert yours to this style as I think it looks better and is more balanced, also easier to work in IMO.

The way I got the brackets was to find an old chevy half ton with a 454 and just grab all the brackets off it. They all worked great for me and the guy was just a small local wrecker of trucks only, I got all the brackets I needed AND pulleys for $25cdn

The jerks at the big wreckers wanted $50 just for an alternator mount!

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
"Hard work MAY pay of in the long run, but laziness pays off NOW"
My Page

·
Registered
84 Posts
I swapped a 402 in where a 327 lived and had to replace *everything*!! and I'm not kidding! New PS pump. The round type replaces the teardrop with a BB. Although I suppose you could do some engineering and use as much of the SB stuff as possible, It's a lot easier to get the right stuff. My only problem is the angle that the pumps return fitting sticks at at. Hard to route the line withough a kink. I you have this problem, get braided line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.