Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if any other posters trade stocks? I've been doing it for about 20 or so years, rough at first, but pretty easy money once the learning curve is past.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I do trade some but currently I find myself leaning away from the market getting ready for a correction. It’s been going up for almost 10 years. I’d rather miss the peak than ride the correction down.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ignore the general market, although you are correct, rug will be pulled.
I only buy stocks with certain chart setups, I rarely even know what they do before I buy. Exchange doesn't matter either, pennies on up. It's pretty bullet proof.

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
I do trade some but currently I find myself leaning away from the market getting ready for a correction. It’s been going up for almost 10 years. I’d rather miss the peak than ride the correction down.
hard to argue that, Dennis. I've been thinking that would be wise to sell most of mine very soon, while the market is still riding high. Buy low, sell high!

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
I have not done any trading in some years. The most fun was the tech stocks back in 1998/ 1999. I lost my job in 1998 and spent 1999 as a day trader. That paid me a lot more than sitting in a cubicle. I agree that learning to use the charts well is the safest way to trade. The charts do not lie.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I dabble with pips instead of ticks. Small time technical swing trading. Too much fundamental required for the stock market for me to keep up with. I'd rather look left, recognize, plot and test over a few weeks in my spare time. Wont get rich but working on becoming consistent in case I ever need to rely on the skill and get leverage.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Care to share what to look for in charts? Just retired and looking for different things to keep me occupied on rainy days. Sunny days are not a problem. Not looking to make my fortune, just to be on the plus side instead of the alternative. My bank offers 'practice accounts' but dont see the fun in that. There needs to be at least a little risk involved to make it interesting.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Care to share what to look for in charts? Just retired and looking for different things to keep me occupied on rainy days. Sunny days are not a problem. Not looking to make my fortune, just to be on the plus side instead of the alternative. My bank offers 'practice accounts' but dont see the fun in that. There needs to be at least a little risk involved to make it interesting.
I use what is referred to as a "pincher setup". A daily and weekly chart with PPO over top of the ADX w/+-DI's.
Stocks in this setup are beat to a pulp, and have nowhere to go but up.
It's fairly simple, ppo is similar to the macd, and is a percentage of price over moving averages.
The PPO will be curling down on a falling stock, while the ADX will be curling up, with the -DI, while the +DI will be sinking, creating a "pinch" of the two lines. The point where they start to diverge is where the reverse starts. +DI below 10 is a sure reversal area, although they can go as low as 3.
Hard to explain in one post, a search for pincher will bring it up, check it out.

·
Premium Member
15,862 Posts
Post a chart mike. Here is a sample of one of my trading screens featuring stocastics.... ( I dont trade often).... this one is one of my "channelers", Bausch , formerly Valeant Pharma. PS, this is TD Ameritrade's "think or swim" platform.

PS, another great trading method is covered call writing, and combination options. Just gave a friend an old book by Wade Cook on these strats. Not big "hits", but many small hits and risk control that way.

Stay disciplined, stick to your rules and UP YOUR ASSETS!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Gene, I'm a new TOS guy from Scottrade, I cannot find the correct PPO or ADX w/di's in the studies. I have called support 4x's, so I use Stockcharts free charts, I'll try to post one here. I also do not know how to post TOS stuff lol.

·
Premium Member
15,862 Posts
CCI , huh? Clearly see the "pinch". My "trading" screen did flash buys on TC, but using Money Flow, RSI, and stochastics.... see below...the indicators on the bottom all "flashed" green... your screen timed it better it would seem..... ( ps I'm taking "screenshots", and posting them.)

PS, please run HCR on your screen, see if its really dead. :) ( intrinsic value is near $8 a share, I'd like to see $5, and yes, I own it! )

ALSO, I've found CTL to be a great buy/write candidate. Buy as it nears $12 and write $12 strike calls against it, and hopefully keep all the premium.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,862 Posts
THHX Mike.... yeah she looks dead for a while.... worth $5-8 SOME DAY, but when? PS as 90% of stock options expire worthless, writing them is the "most likely" side of the transaction.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
THHX Mike.... yeah she looks dead for a while.... worth $5-8 SOME DAY, but when? PS as 90% of stock options expire worthless, writing them is the "most likely" side of the transaction.
Yes, I've heard that, I just have no experience in that area, and at my age, old dogs/new tricks? I'd love to learn more.

·
Premium Member
15,862 Posts
TD has educational vids you can watch at your leisure. Simple story, when you write a contract, you are literally SHORT the option and receive the premium. Buyers pay premium, sellers earn it. Naked puts are great if you are looking to own a stock anyway, as they can really reduce your cost basis ( again, by the amount of premium you bring in.)

Anyway, not much of a trader. Two "growthy" stocks i'll give here are ROKU and CWBHF ( CBD oil is a MUCH bigger market than weed is - the rest of the world will wake up to that one day). ROKU , I'm looking to sell, Charlottes , buy on dips. Not trades , but investments.

I mentioned one deep value play, the other is Tenneco, TEN. Auto parts are so "dead" here you have a company worth somewhere between $26-$34 a share depending on how you measure it. Trade wars hurt them good, so.... how long will it take to realize full value?

Weird, Beyond Meat goes to the moon on "hot air" ( not patentable tech there at all) and a major auto parts supplier can be bought for pennies on the dollar. Maybe the below chart is about to be right!

Here's one more chart from a fellow professor, an economist.....

PS if you're a TD client, go to EDUCATION, then VIDEOS, and then OPTIONS. Clint Cowles and Mike Turvey do the vids and they do a good job. PS, I am an investment advisor, so we are on the institutional side of TD, and use them as our custodian. Scottrade had some decent tools btw. The author I mentioned WADE COOK, has a book, which is somewhat dated, called " Wall Street Money Machine".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Holy Cow! You should be teaching me lol. I used to be an investor, until I saw my PG shares moving $1 plus every day, yet only .10 or so up at the close. Literally lost $20k or so first few years, but not any more lol.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts