Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a question about the initial timing for a Chevy small block: Should it be 10-18 degrees advanced or retarded? Also, if lets say its suppose to be 10-18 degrees advanced, will the car work and/or start if its 10-18 degrees retarded instead?

I ask, because I finally got my car to start again and when I shine the timing light at idle, it shows 10 degrees to the side with the A, but when I use the adjustable timing feature on the light and set it to 10 degrees it makes it seem like its set to 10 degrees on the R side.

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
17,142 Posts
Advanced.
If it retarded 10-18 ,it'll do the spitting that your getting.

From your prior post you need to start over with your distributor re-install.
Remove the cap and set it aside with the wires attached.
Pull the #1 sparkplug and with a friends help ,bump the starter over with your finger in the #1 plug hole.
When you feel pressure have your friend stop with bumping the starter.
Rotate the balancer to the timing mark -largest notch will be sufficient for now.
Point the rotor towards #1 sparkplug.
Yeah ,you'll get info that says you don't need it to point there,but plug wire sets are made to the GM method of wiring the plugs.
With the rotor pointing to the #1 plug ,put the cap back on and reset your plug wires so your starting with the #1 wire where the rotor is pointing.
Should be able to fire it up and set your timing by your light.

FYI -Note Fig 2:
http://www.small-block-chevy.com/assemblyspec.html

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, to not get you up to speed. I did all of that and I found TDC and got the car running decent. Now I'm just working with setting the initial timing the best I can with the light. I'm guessing I was just reading it wrong with the adjustable timing on the light. When I use a regular timing light, it shows 12 degrees advanced right now.

Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
Keep in mind the stock timing marker has marks in 2 degree increments.

The rotor moves clockwise...so turning the distributor couter-clockwise advances the timing.

Make sure the vacuum advance line is unplugged when setting initial advance.

To the left of 0 is advanced on the balancer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts