Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a '65 SS last spring and have been slowly getting it in shape. I have it on the road now and have been having a lot of electrical problems. I thought the alternator was bad so I took it in to have it tested - not only was it ok but the guys at the shop told me that it was an internally regulated alternator. (It is a 55 amp Delco) This normally isn't a big deal, but the car still has the external voltage regulator hooked up! I have two questions... (1)What problems or damage is caused by having the external regulator in use with an internally regulated alternator? and (2) How do I change the wiring to get rid of the external regulator? -- I found the tech ref article "Alternator Conversion" by Wess Vann - is it the same as listed in that article? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sure you have an internally regulated alternator? They will mount up the same but the externally regulated alternator connector won't go in. Somebody replace that connector? The externals connector pins look like ( I I ) while the internals look like ( -- --). Take a look at the connector pins in these pictures. Does yours look like this (wire connector)? The SI is the internally regulated model. http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/delcoremy.shtml

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at the pictures in the link, and I do have an internally regulated alternator - looks just like the model 10si in the articel. The pins are like ( -- -- ), the guy that owned the car before me must have changed the connectors on the wires because they are not original. ?? Should I bypass the external regulator as detailed in the "Alternator Conversion" article? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Yes. There's really only a couple of changes to make. Surprised the last guy didn't do it. If the white (as Wes shows) isn't tied back to the alternator rear stud, I guess the guy never finished the job. It's possible that the guy tied the blue and brown together inside the regulator, but if he didn't tie the white wire properly, he probably didn't do anything to the blue/brown. Follow Wes's instructions and after you are finished measure the alternator B+ stud on the back to ground. Should be around 14.5 volts out. If it is, doesn't sound like anything is damaged.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks John. There were no changes at all to any of the wiring on the external regulator. I'm no expert on electrical things, but it amazes me that I didn't have major problems!! I made the changes as outlined in Wess Van's article and everything seems to be ok. Thanks for the help. This web site and all you guys who make it work are great - keep it up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts