Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WANT them

Has anyone found a way to add an intermittent function to the two speed wipers as found in my 72? I've seen add-on boxes in the whitney catalog, but their customer disservice can't tell me if they will work on my application.

[This message has been edited by rick (edited 11-01-2000).]

·
Registered
348 Posts
I added an intermittent box to my 65 El Camino. Easy, all you have to do is splice the control into the existing wiper wiring and provide power and ground to the box. It works fine, however the delay period did not match the dial indication exactly.

I'm not overly thrilled with the extra wart on the bottom of the dash. I located it to the left of the steering column underneath the dash.

Eventually I want to make a steering column swap to a late model with the intermittent wiper control, ignition switch, and without shifter.

·
Administrator
16,160 Posts
Rick it should work on either system, it just interupts the circuit with an adjustable timer.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Do modern systems (modern lol Im talkin 80s stuff) use a timer in the steering column, or is the timer in the wiper motor itself? Or maybe wired in somewhere under the dash? I also would be interested in putting a factory style system in, but have never traced anything out.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros
TC member #493

·
Gold Founding Member
3,081 Posts
65 elcamino - did you use the JC Whitney kit or another?

FWIW my 64 has factory two speed wipers.

A related ? = are the regulators(??) that the wiper arms attach to universal. Mine is worn, leaving the wiper at half-mast when I turn it off. Will any mid 60's GM one work?

Thanks.

------------------
OrrieG
64 Malibu HT Survivor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts