Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The left brake light on my 70 works only about 1/2 the time. The taillight and the turn signal work fine all the time. I have checked everything I could think of. Does anyone have any ideas, I thought someone told me once that the brake light circuit went through the steering column because of the trun signal using the same filament, could I have a problem in the steering column?

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Your info is correct - the brake light circuit does go up the column, and through the turn signal switch. The turn signal switch breaks the stoplight circuit to the respective rear light, and inserts the flasher circuit.

Try wiggling the turn signal lever while pressing on the brakes. I'll bet when you hit just the right spot the brake light will work.

You might be able to bend the little brass "fingers" in the switch to provide better contact in the at rest or "no turnsignal" position.

My .02

·
Registered
418 Posts
We had a similar problem with Sherri's "new" 59 Biscayne. The left or right brake light would not light up at times. Turns out that it was the (cable operated) turn signal switch that was not returning completely to the center position. I found it by accident, but when I looked at the way the brake lights were wired, it all made sense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts